Philadelphia Bottle Shops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
I'm heading to Philly this weekend for a couple days of Beer Week. I know the alcohol laws in Pennsylvania are weird, but can anyone provide any recommendations for stores/restaurants where I can purchase good beer to take home? I'm looking specifically for stuff that is harder to get on the East Coast like Jolly Pumpkin, Russian River, etc...

I'd try Jersey. Bottle shops pretty much don't exist in PA. There are plenty of good distributors, but you're going to have to buy at least a case there.

First ever post...

Check out Foodery. They have two locations, 10th & Pine and 2nd & Poplar. The one on Poplar is bigger and there are some cool bars close by (Standard Tap, 700 Club, Abbaye etc).

http://www.fooderybeer.com/ - It's pretty expensive, but the selection is good.

Ps. If you want lunch, the store on Poplar has some delicious sandwiches...

First ever post...

Check out Foodery. They have two locations, 10th & Pine and 2nd & Poplar. The one on Poplar is bigger and there are some cool bars close by (Standard Tap, 700 Club, Abbaye etc).

Ps. If you want lunch, the store on Poplar has some delicious sandwiches...

Welcome to Homebrewtalk! And thanks for the recommendation. I have The Foodery on my list now too.

Welcome to Homebrewtalk! And thanks for the recommendation. I have The Foodery on my list now too.

Thanks! Feels good to finally join the forum and stop lurking.

Let me know if you need bar recommendations too, I know a few...

Not too many choices (that I am aware of) in the city...especially if you are looking for rare beers. Foodery has a decent selection, but is generally expensive. There are some good ones in the burbs if you can/are willing to travel.

The Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting (about 10 miles west-ish of downtown) has a decent selection (but generally nothing *too* rare) and good prices. They post a somewhat accurate list of inventory HERE

Capone's in Norristown has an awesome selection of hard-to-find/rare beers. They don't have an online list (that I am aware of), but HERE is what they have for a website

I'll second the Foodery. It's near my place and nearly impossible to go by without stopping in. They have their beers arranged roughly geographically, so it's easy to find what you want if you have an idea of what you're looking for.

First ever post...

I second this. It's right near me and the selection is amazing. Yes, it is expensive, but it has to be, their business model is not cheap in PA.

Plus it's right near the Standard Tap, North 3rd, 700 Club, Abbaye, as well as some excellent BYOBs (koozeedoo is great). Not to mention Yards brewery is just on the other side of I-95, and Phildelphia Brewing Co is about a 20 min walk, as is Kraftwork. If you end up going to PBC, you might as well go swing by Memphis Taproom.

And of course, if you end up being in that neighborhood, you must must must must must must must go get a sandwich at Paesanos

on 8th and pine in center city philadelphia u have a foodery but if you come to passyunk avenue in south philadelphia there is a bottle shop. BTW there is a lot going on for beer week on passyunk you should check it out.

+1 on the foodery, that place is amazing

Oh, and it's located at 10th and Pine.

If you're going to be in New Jersey, look up Roger Wilco, Canal's, and Total Wine. All 3 of those places have a dope beer selection, and it's way cheaper than in Philly. Also they are in all within 20 mins driving from Philly. (Cherry Hill, Pennsauken)

Also I would look into a tour at the Yards Brewery (Delaware Ave & Poplar), and maybe stop in at Triumph (2nd & Chestnut). A couple other bars of interest in the area are Notting Head, and Monks.

Monks has the biggest beer selection I have ever seen at a bar. Seriously. Last time I was there I ate mussels and drank a saison.

Back