pHep5 pH meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a pHep5 pH meter and plan to store it for the next year. My question is if I need to attempt to keep the probe in storage solution this whole time or allow it to dry and store it that way until further use. Could you give me your thoughts?

Interesting question.

Once you put the device into use, Hanna recommends storage solution.
They don't actually recommend immersion in the storage solution so just leaving it dunked in a sealed container might not be a great idea.

Otoh, the thing ships dry.

I've read posts where the writers had inquired to Hanna's customer support and gotten responses, so perhaps that's worth a try...

Cheers!

Here is the reply I received after emailing Hannah:

The pH electrode needs to be kept wet the entire time it is not being used. The storage solution will dry out over time so you will need to check it to make sure it has not dried out. Some people remove the pH electrode from the meter and store it in a sealed glass jar containing storage solution. If you do store it this way make sure the storage solution only contacts the glass bulb and not the metal part of the pH electrode.

Also attached is an article on the Care and Storage of pH Electrodes.

Sincerely,

Mike Muzik
Hanna Instruments

First time I've read anything from Hanna about actually keeping the electrode wet.

So, perhaps build a wee boat with just the glass bit hanging below the "water line" and leave it floating in a pool of storage solution?

Cheers! :)

Back