Ph test strips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmancuso

Reaction score
I have 2 sets of ph test strips. One that ranges from 4.6-5.8 and another from 2.8-4.4 that I bought to test my starsan. When I tested the starsan the color of the paper was bright yellow on both ph strips, but there was no color that matched it on either package. I just Want to be able to test my starsan to make sure it's in it's kill range and I'm not sure what the yellow reading means.

what's the lowest pH color on the chart? 4.6-5.8 is useless as star-san needs to be at 3.0 or below to be effective.

my guess is your solution is more acidic than your strips can measure.
or they are bad. the problem with paper pH test strips is any amount of moisture, including touching it, starts degrading them.

Ph strips are probably good for something, I just haven't figured out what.

_

Well I thought they would atleast be ok to see if my starsan was under 3.5. The lower range strips go from 2.8. Which is a very light green to 4.4 which is a dark blue green. I thought they would read in the light green range so I can just look to see if it was lighter than the darker green which is 4.0

Back