pH Meter That Doesn't Need To Be Calibrated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Having to calibrate a pH meter every brew day is a pain in the backside. Are there any decent reasonably-priced ones that don't need to be calibrated...or at least not as often?

Thanks

All measurement instruments need to be verified for calibration, especially things like scales, temp probs and Ph meters, measuring tapes not so much but still a good practice. It’s just a fact of life and it really isn’t that bad, running out of calibration solution though sucks. Which reminds me, I need to order some more.

I mean the more expensive you get, the less often it may need to be calibrated. But we are talking about lab grade hardware now probably costing a few thousand dollars. But even then, that needs to be calibrated on a regular basis.

A decent pH meter needs to be calibrated on a regular basis, that's just a fact. If that's a pain then don't use one.

Calibration is just something you have to do. I work in a lab and we have expensive pH meters and we calibrate them everyday, first thing in the morning with a pH buffer of 4, 7 and 10 and then do a second source of 7 from a different vendor just to make sure they are accurate. There's no way around it. You should see what we have to go through to run gas chromatography for volatile organic compounds or semi-volatile compounds. The things we do to make sure the water is safe....

I calibrate my YSI at work every morning and then check it again within 24 hours. Just a check, but the process is the same with one less button to push

Its the worst part of my job, man.

Instruments need to be calibrated regularly. In commercial cases that's daily or more often than that. In hobby cases it's often every use.

And any time I get a suspect reading on anything with any device, first thing I doubt is calibration, recalibrate, and recheck.

Welcome to the world of precision measurements.

Latest posts

Back