PH Meter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
For all of the hard core brewers, don't crucify me for not wanting to spend $100+ on a meter.

I've been brewing since last June and have never checked the ph. I usually add 2-3% acid malt to each grain bill. I am now curious to know what my ph really is during the mash. I also brew BIAB.

I have read countless posts on many different ph meters. I have also read posts on ph strips. I just don't know what would be an acceptable meter to get.

I really do not want to spend $100 for a ph meter plus solution.

Can someone recommend a decent ph meter in the $50 or so range?

I'm not anal about being exact on a recommended ph but would like to be close to see if I can detect any changes in my beer. To date I am 23 brews in and have not had to dump any so that leads me to think my ph must be within an acceptable range.

Thanks.

Here you go, and for $15: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LNSEZH2...in-20&linkId=e2e05a1a18424b1e17c4e558768d8f67

Just make sure you buy the calibration solution for it, storage solution (VERY important to get) and cleaning solution.

Calibrate it each time you'll use it to to make sure that there isn't any drift and for a control test to make sure the meter is measuring properly. Once you finished using it, clean it with the solution and add fresh storage solution to the cap as directed in the meter's instructions. Failure to use storage solution will allow the probe to dry up and either decrease in life or become damaged.

If you read the Ph meter posts than you know that any meter under 100 bucks is a crap shoot. Some have had good luck others not so much. On this subject I feel you get what you pay for. Will a 15 dollar meter get you close yes is it accurate most will say no. I've read mostly good reviews on the Milwaukee MW101 it's only $77 bucks. 40-50 bucks for a batch of beer, what's another 25 bucks for piece of mind to know that your Ph meter is telling you the truth.

If you read the Ph meter posts than you know that any meter under 100 bucks is a crap shoot. Some have had good luck others not so much. On this subject I feel you get what you pay for. Will a 15 dollar meter get you close yes is it accurate most will say no. I've read mostly good reviews on the Milwaukee MW101 it's only $77 bucks. 40-50 bucks for a batch of beer, what's another 25 bucks for piece of mind to know that your Ph meter is telling you the truth.

I bought one of the expensive Milwaukee meters, right out of the box the probe was bad wouldn't calibrate or even read the calibration solution properly. I contacted support and they had to send me a new one under warranty. It's a crap shoot with all of them even the expensive ones.

For $15, good return policy through Amazon and a 1 year warranty on a meter that has great reviews, you really can't lose. As long as the unit calibrates properly with the calibration solution, the meter should measure your wort pH with no issues. It's a step up from pH strips.

I bought one of the expensive Milwaukee meters, right out of the box the probe was bad wouldn't calibrate or even read the calibration solution properly. I contacted support and they had to send me a new one under warranty. It's a crap shoot with all of them even the expensive ones.

For $15, good return policy through Amazon and a 1 year warranty on a meter that has great reviews, you really can't lose. As long as the unit calibrates properly with the calibration solution, the meter should measure your wort pH with no issues. It's a step up from pH strips.

Like I said mostly good reviews on the MW101. I've read a lot on meters and never heard of the Dr. Meter. I wouldn't call 3.8 of 5 stars on amazon great reviews. I could not find a single home brewing review. Than again for 15 bucks it maybe worth a shot.

Like I said mostly good reviews on the MW101. I've read a lot on meters and never heard of the Dr. Meter. I wouldn't call 3.8 of 5 stars on amazon great reviews. I could not find a single home brewing review. Than again for 15 bucks it maybe worth a shot.

Not to split hairs but, the link i referenced to on Amazon shows 4 full stars on the review from 158 reviews, pretty good if you ask me.

But like I said, $15, good return policy with Amazon and a 1 year warranty, can't go wrong. Even if it dies in 1 year but works great up to that point, you're still ahead of the game since the probes don't last long and the probes for the expensive ones are a lot more than $15.

You are correct 4.1 to be exact. I clicked the newer model Ph100 reviews. Read most of the correct reviews this time. Some of the 4 star reviews say it broke after 3 uses. Almost all of the 3 and below say it jumps all over the place even after calibration. Some even say "pulled it out of the calibration solution with one reading put it right back in to get another". If it were me I'd save the 15 bucks.

After reading all the hassle threads with top notch meters being junk/fussy, I'm inclined to stick with disposable (yearly?) cheapos.

My recommendation:

-Get an accurate water test and use that with water software such as brun water, etc.

-get a meter that uses 7.01 calibration solution. I bought one that requires 6.86 and that stuff is expensive...

The water software should get you pretty close, and the meter will serve to confirm that. I'd wager that if you're in the appropriate pH range that you can't taste 0.1 pH difference...

Thanks for the replies. I understand the saying "get what you pay for" so I am willing to take a shot. If it doesn't work, then I can send it back and look for something else.
I may take a shot with the one linked in this thread and see what happens. If the meter uses 6.86 solution you have to stick with that correct?

I purchased one similar to the dr meter, $14, 4 stars, many homebrew reviews.

PH Tester PH-009 Digital pH Meter - With 2 Pack of Calibration Solution Mixture Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N7432II/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yes, it's cheap and not as good as ph meters recommended on these forums.

The reasons why I do not think an expensive nice ph meter is necessary for most homebrewers are

1) bru n water / brewers friend are very good at predicting ph. I've yet to have a brew where my ph was more than 0.1 different than prediction.

2) most agree you only need to be within 0.1 of your ph and probably anywhere between 5.2 and 5.6 is fine, So why pay for 0.01 accuracy then? Even the guys on brew science sub don't really recommend trying to manipulate ph if you're 0.1 or less off....

The most important part of the mash to Be at your target ph level is the first 5-15 mins anyways. You'll be hard pressed to take a sample, cool it, measure it, and make an adjustment within this time period. So ph meter is really just to confirm youre in the right ball park (for future brews), which the cheap ones will do. If you shoot for 5.4, you're going to hit it providing you use prediction software correctly.

I've found the above meter to reliable and accurate so far (knock on wood). Even tested it against various dilutions of vinegar and 4 different calibration solutions. If I do 20 brews and ph is always right on to what is predicted, I'll probably forgo regularly checking ph as many others have reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understand correctly the $100 meters need the probe changed every year? The cost of thus seems to be almost half the cost of the meter again.

Thus in 5 years it will cost $250 for the "good" meter and $75 for 5 for disposable" ones.

I also understand that you will know when the it gives up the ghost so it is not a matter of ruining a batch because of a wrong reading.

T

If I understand correctly the $100 meters need the probe changed every year? The cost of thus seems to be almost half the cost of the meter again.

Thus in 5 years it will cost $250 for the "good" meter and $75 for 5 for disposable" ones.

I also understand that you will know when the it gives up the ghost so it is not a matter of ruining a batch because of a wrong reading.

T

If you read the reviews on the disposable ones. They are either DOA or last between 1 to 5 usages. Some have had good luck with them, but again reading the reviews the likelihood of that is about 1 in 10. $75 for 5 years is more likely $150 for 5. There have been bad reviews with higher end meters but they are fewer to say the least. To each their own your still up 100 buck if you buy 10 cheap ones. To me why even measure with a meter if you happy with it being off by .1. Just use Bru'n Water and be within the same measure of error and save the time and money.

Just use Bru'n Water and be within the same measure of error and save the time and money.

Seriously, this. I have a $100 Hanna pHep meter. When I've calibrated my meter and tested at room temp the PH is always within .02 of what Bru'n Water estimates, basically within my meters margin of error.

To me why even measure with a meter if you happy with it being off by .1. Just use Bru'n Water and be within the same measure of error and save the time and money.

For me it's just a sanity check. There can be seasonal or other unexpected changes to tap water. I'd like to catch large errors if they happen, but I'm OK with small errors...

I had a similar cheap meter awhile back, it was always right on with Brewers Friend. After about 6 months it started to go whacky on me so I chucked it in the garbage. Never bought another since it did its job verifying what Brewers Friend was already telling me.

Back