pH Meter Got Funkified

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RufusBrewer

Reaction score
I have a phone meter Opera model PH 60. I used it and did one batch with it. Then it was unused and in storage for about 5.5 months. It sat in the the storage solution that came with the meter. When I opened it up today, there was a film of grey and black mold/film in the bottle and on the meter.

I washed away the film in the bottle and used a Q-tip to clean the mold film away. I rinsed the probe and the bulb with tap water. Used a Q-tip to remove the film from the plastic body of the probe. I saw no film or mold on the bulb, so it got just a rinse. I rinsed everything with distilled water, shook off the water and refilled the probe cover with fresh storage solution, Alexa labeled 3M KCI.

Is there anything more I can do? If I calibrate and test =OK, is there any reason to not think I am out of the woods?

Please advise.

If I calibrate and test =OK, is there any reason to not think I am out of the woods?

I would think that if it performs as expected and can hold calibration you probably are out of the woods.
That said, Apera sells a cleaning agent for that sensor Electrode Cleaning Solution 8 oz.
Might be a good idea when you buy more storage solution to order up the cleaner as well and give the sensor a treatment...

Cheers!

Electrode cleaning solution is a great idea. I was not aware of that. Thanks.

Right now it is sitting in storage solution from a brand new bottle, opened today.

Back