Pets...And Why We Love Them (Pay Homage Here)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There have been a few "losses" in the HBT pet family recently. Most recently we read about 2nd Street Brewery's loss of Bambino. I thought it would be worthwhile to share amongst ourselves some of the "family members" that help us get through the day-to-day grind.

So how bout it...who's waiting for you when you walk in at the end of the day? And why the heck do you love them so much?

For me:

Most fo you are familiar with "Addie". She's a 4 month-old corgi and just about the happiest animal on the face of the earth. With those big black eys, those huge mouse ears and a stub of a tail that wags incessantly, she can't help but make you forget about a crappy day.
Addie_4.jpg

And she does so love my brew days:
Addie_8.jpg

This is the "elder" dog, Ellie. She's a border collie who would rather sleep that herd sheep. At 11 years old, she's taken on the persona of a wise old "soul". I do believe that when her time comes...she'll know it, accept it..and crawl off to a corner to "lie down" quietly. Right now she's pretty pissed at me for having her shaved.
Ellie_2.JPG
ElliePic.JPG

One of my daughters adopted a crazy-@ssed hound last year (brown one on the left. I call her the little brown turd). Gentle, loving, cleanest dog I've ever seen...but dumb as a box of rocks. Whenever she comes home to visit from college, it's like a freakin kennel club around here.
Dogs.jpg

So how about you guy's.

Does it bark? Does it purr? Does if have scales or feathers?

Who's waiting for you at the end of the day?

smallernatty.jpg

This is my boy Nathaniel. He's also known as Natty, Fatboy, and occasionally (depending on the amount of alcohol) Senor Cat-pants.

I've had him for about three years now and I have no idea what I would do without him. He sees me off at the door when I leave, greets me when I return, and is simply a cuddlemachine.

If I'm on these forums, chances are he's on my lap (or falling asleep on my mouse-hand:
smallersleepinnat.jpg

He plays in his water bowl, puts random things in his food dish (his toys, receipts, hair-ties, occasionally my underwear)...he's strange.

And he's my darlin' boy.

(edited to crop the pictures. forgive the pic quality, by the way. Camera phone. :))

15808-Jazzy.jpg

Here's my 2nd best friend (SWMBO is #1) Jasmine
She's Border Collie/Blue Heeler Cross and will by 17 years old in June, if she make sit that long. She has lost one of her legs since that photo due to a blood clot, but is still getting along very well.

She will be missed greatly when she's gone, but while she's still here, we are making the most of our time with her, and she's spoiled ROTTEN.

This is Sterling, He is going to be 4 yrs this month, first pic is the day we brought him home, the rest are current. He has gone to work with me every day since he was a pup.
SWMBO has 2 cats, Streak & Magick although the one likes me better, as soon as I sit in the recliner he jumps up and lays on me.

2312865570101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

2004027800101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

2440779280101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

2739845780101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

This is Katie. Really she's not very smart but she is sweet. She does a happy dance whenever I walk in the door. If you ever met her she would run up to you, turn around, and sit on your feet (not at your feet, on your feet). Then she would lean against you, look up, and demand that you pet her. I bet you would too because she's so cute.

10872-100_0414.JPG

My dog runs when we hold up a camera. He knows phone and camera and runs away when someone holds up a phone to take a picture.

Here's Riley. He's around 15 years old and absolutely the best cat I've ever had.

DSCN7095.JPG

He's huge, 23 lbs!
DSCN7110.JPG

We even named a beer after him.
RYEley's tap web.jpeg

BierMuncher, I also wanted to tell you that I showed SWMBO the picture of Addie. She absolutely loves Corgis. Or next pet will most certainly be a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

As posted in another thread, here's our big, badass Dachsund, George:

george31.jpg

We adopted him from shelter about 3 weeks ago, and all is good. He's super good natured, but a little hound through and through. He the perfect dog, until he starts tracking a scent....then he might as well be deaf. We thought he was just a mild mannered little weiner dog until he caught a rabbit in the back yard the other day...

Both mine are Rescues from the pound.
Ben had broken ribs and was timmind as hell when we got him. He's still nervous but is getting more chilled with time. He's abot 5 now
Foxxie is pushing 10 and still acts like a puppy some times.

irelandfoxxieandbennmallq3.jpg

p0105ben2vv.jpg

p0105foxxie15tx.jpg

foxxieqa3.jpg

13812-IMG_3947.JPG

Sunka, a cockappo girl, adopted 4.5 years ago, "Therapy (as in oncology) Dog" on a picnic, on vacation.

13812-sunka2.JPG

Play time back at the cottage! (Did I say play?!!)

13812-sunka1.JPG

Funny close up. She can be so goofy.

Not pictured are departed friends, Boo-E and Pearl. I have their tags on a necklace and wear them often while on vacation.

This is Oscar, but I usually call him "Bigdog"
bigdog2.jpg

This is Sally Gooden, about the sweetest dog you'll ever meet. What's not to love about a face like that?
IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

We've got dogs, Newton the Corgi (Christmas present last year) and Olive the shelter rescue:
dogs.jpg

And cats both shelter rescues (old picture they are much fatter now):
100_2072.jpg

Oh, we have one other pet, but due to possible illegalities I will not self-incriminate.

Seeing all of these pics makes me feel better. Still hard but we'll survive.The wife and I were sitting around yesterday going through abunch of old pictures looking for ones of Bambino with the kids so we could send them to them. Started talking about all the stuff he used to pull when he was younger:D Found some pictures I didn't even remember until I saw them again. Some of his better shots(sorry can't post,all hard copies from pre digital age) Sitting at the dining room table as in my chair, wearing his big white plastic collar after getting stiches in his tail(looked like a satelite dish), laying on our bed, rassling with me on the floor. Remebering the time he almost knocked me out when we butted heads playing on the floor and the time he tried to jump into bed with us during a thunder storm.We were laughing and crying at the same time. We'll get another dog eventually, but we'll never replace him:mug:

Here's Ender, our 3 yr old mix (we guess Boxer/German Shepherd, but we don't know.) Got him from a shelter as a puppy.

EnderToy.JPG

and in his usual position
EnderCouch.JPG

This is me and Ellie Mae when she was a pup still at the place where we got her before she was weaned.
EllieMay0018.jpg

This is my youngest with Ellie and some siblings that same day......
EllieMay0014.jpg

This is Ellie at home a couple months later.
EllieCouch2.jpg

This is Ellie and the boys playing in the leaves this past fall. She's three now.
IMG_0547.jpg

We also have a greyhound/lab mix, but she's camera shy..........

2nd Street Brewery said:
...The wife and I were sitting around yesterday going through abunch of old pictures looking for ones of Bambino with the kids so we could send them to them....We were laughing and crying at the same time. We'll get another dog eventually, but we'll never replace him:mug:
Somewhere out there is a puppy who is destined to be a part of your future. :D

SiB57 said:
Here's Ender, our 3 yr old mix (we guess Boxer/German Shepherd, but we don't know.) Got him from a shelter as a puppy.

EnderToy.JPG

and in his usual position
EnderCouch.JPG

Ender, as in Andrew Wiggin?:D

7xcvkbc.jpg

Princess Leia and Mouse

72icv82.jpg

Goliath - Half Miniature Pinscher, Half Pomeranian. He got really aggresive when SWMBO got preggo. Once he bit her in the face, we had to let him go.:(

Misty - Adopted in Kentucky from the coolest animal shelter EVER. It was a house out in the country literally converted for the purpose of helping strays and runaways.

She's quite fat, when she sits she looks like a grey, furry pear so we call her "Fat Pear Kitty" most of the time.

11369-misty.png

Buttercup - Rescued from an abusive home as a kiitten in Kalamazoo MI. He used to be such a terror that he was once scheduled to be put to sleep for attacking several vets but in two years he went from terror to lap-cat though he still pick on Misty. His name was picked because he was evil as a kitten and we like irony. Also, my wife's favorite movie at the time was "The Princess Bride" so...

11369-butters.png

Man, there are some gorgeous pets in here. Ender, in particular, is a damn handsome dog (with an awesome name.) SWMBO and I are trying to convince our landlord to let us get a small dog, but we've had no luck so far.

I come home to this:

Tofu.. 3 year old yella lab. Still very much a puppy. Always playful and loves daddy.
She talks too. Not the "I love you" that you see some dogs do, its a strange noise that is awesome.
IMG_0287.jpg

Cali 8 year old black lab mix. Another one that loves daddy. She is the lover of the 2. Where my yellow lab wants to play all the time, Cali wants to snuggle and sit on your lap.
cali.jpg

We have 2 cats too.
This is cam (Cam-shaft-Neely... aka camshaft and cam neely (former hockey player)
I hate cats. Mostly because they aren't dogs. But this one is a dog. This cat seriously thinks he is a dog. He's my buddy. He's an attention whore too. LOVES to greet people and plays with the dogs like he is 50 lbs and much bigger.
Fatass.jpg

When I get home at night, all 3 of them meet me at the door like im Santa.

Here's my girl, Madeline, she's a lab/collie mix, and the best dog you could ever want:
December2005046.jpg

New173.jpg

May07042.jpg

I have a cat too, who is more like a dog, when I find some pics I'll post them too.

Well, here are mine:
This is Lady, a picture from two or three years ago. We just lost her in October:

bob_brent_lady21-1-200212-01-55AM.jpg

And this is Demoti, our shelter cat that we've had two years:
DSCF0003-2.jpg

This guy has roots in Deutschland. His name is Ludwig and he likes malty lagers and chamber muzik. His sister Sophie will be immigrating soon...

< pic is 3 months old >

8492-dog1.JPG

I give you Schroeder, a 2 year old German Shep, Chow, Lab, Retriever plus other mix. He is my best friend. This dog is better than almost every person I have ever met. We rescued him from an organazation as a pup. He goes everywhere with me. First is him as a pup, then him just chilling during a vacation trip on the ride, then a break during a neighborhood walk, finally, him coming back after swimming out past the breakers in OBX on his long leash:

schroeder pup.JPG

Schroeder Chillin.JPG

Schroeder Chillin2.JPG

Schroeder Ocean.JPG

This is Casey. She's a Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) who will turn 13 in May. She's the grumpy den mother of the group and is stinky at both ends, but we love her.
200603280023hs0.jpg

This is Diego, another Sheltie. He just turned 2 in November. The picture below is the first day we got him; he was a whopping 5 lbs.
200601220060ux0.jpg

Now here is is all grown up and happy. He's the troublemaker of the group, and as a result his nickname is "little sh*t".
20060904030qp3.jpg

Our newest addition, Kiwi, is a 1.5 year old Border Collie/Aussie mix (although this picture makes people think he's part Beagle, too) we adopted from a rescue organization. He's always eager to do anything, and he makes you appreciate the simple things in life when you realize how happy it makes him.
utf8qimg5f1154cn4.jpg

He really does look a little beagle in that picture, doesn't he!

Heres my babydog, her name is Cleo, shes a 6 year old rescued beagle.

cleo_play_2.sized.jpg

Cleo helping with the brew.. along with one of our foster beagles Queenie (she's the lemon beagle in the back)

DSCN1999.JPG

Here's Zeus the patriarch of the family. 13 year old lab/shepherd mix.

574-IMG_1752.JPG

Zeus and Rufus kicking back.
574-Zeus_Rufus.JPG

Rufus (Aussie/German shepherd mix we think) is 3 and is going to sorely miss the old fella when he goes. I have a feeling it'll be this year too :(. 13 is not a bad run for a 100+# guy though.

I don't have to post a picture because our cat looks almost exactly like Silviakitty's cat Nathaniel, except ours has rounder eyes more like a kitten (and he's not a kitten anymore). His name describes him perfectly... Big Silly!

This is my girl Maggs (short for Magnolia). She is a pug/corgi mix. She is the best dog a guy could ever have. Cute, playful, cuddly, sweet, loves all pets and people...I could go on and on. She meets me at the door everyday. She's a pup in this picture. She is over a year old now.

Callie1.jpg

Callie3.jpg

Niki likes to "help" me brew. Really funny. Like to post some pictures of it but can't seem to be able to. Sorry.

Back