Pete's Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalereed

Reaction score
I was a HUGE fan of Pete's Wicked Honey Wheat when it was available. I thought it was good cold, warm and sometimes hot. The last one tasted as good as the first and you could track me like a GPS depending on which stores had it in stock. Long gone now and I have been scouring the interwebs for a recipe for years. I even Facebooked Pete to try to get some insight but, haven't heard back - no real surprise there.

So, does anybody have any ideas on what trying to recreate it might entail. I've brewed an American Wheat from NB and added different amounts of honey at different times. Good but, not even close. I'm thinking that some honey malt will be required and probably some honey after initial fermentation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

So, how's about something like this? I'm thinking I'll try a small batch of this to see where it leads. Any thoughts? I have seen where keeping the honey malt to no more than 10% is best. Adding the Crystal for color and body.

2.5 lb American - White Wheat
2.5 lb American - Pale 2-Row
2.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L
1 lb Canadian - Honey Malt
1 lb Honey
1 oz Willamette 60 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min

Thanks artemis. I used that type and amount to get the color where I (think) I wanted it. We'll see...

For anyone else following along - I actually brewed a one gallon batch of this over the weekend. All went well. One caveat however, my O.G. came in at 1.103 rather than the 1.05ish I was expecting. I did have the grains double crushed from Brewmasters Warehouse for BIAB but, wasn't expecting that!

It's fermenting away now so, will give an update in 2-3 weeks. Could be a whopper. It smelled good and the gravity taster seemed good, too.

Back