PETainer kegs used as a fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank_momo

Reaction score
I got 2 30L kegs from a friend who usually puts it in the recycle bin. (http://www.petainer.com/Products/Kegs)

After a few researches, it seems that these kegs are really one-time use. I only got 1 carboy, I thought I could use them as a fermentation vessel.

Would this be a bad idea? I plan on removing the Sanke coupler and clean/sanitize it as I would do with my glass carboy.

Thank you for your comments!

So, the plastic container can be removed from the holding container?

If they are food safe, I would think that the "one time use" moniker would be a marketing aspect, from the point of not having to clean, and that it's a "readily" recyclable plastic.

I would pull it out and ferment in it.

I would worry about using it as a fermenter. Being able to properly clean the bottom of it where those "nubs" are (pretty hard to get into those) and scratching the plastic during cleaning and not being able to sterilize it properly.

Since they are made disposable the plastic is most likely a soft plastic easily scratched.

I would have no worries at all with those. Incredibly easy to clean and sanitize. Giant coke bottle, I fill them with beer all the time.
Send a couple my way

As I recall, the one use limitation has more to do with pressure cycles than cleanliness. It has more to do with accidentally blowing one up and the resulting injury/death. I think there was a related commercial mishap a few years ago.

They should be fine as a fermenter. Just soak them in Oxyclean like you would a Better Bottle. You shouldn't be scrubbing any plastic fermenter so scratching isn't any more of an issue with these than the others.

Thank your for your advices.

I do not think it will be hard to clean for the first time since there was only beer, but may be a bit harder with the yeast cake.

I will give it a try for my next batch.

According to what I read, the seal on the Sanke plastic connection is only good twice (bottling and serving). After that it may leak... My friends used them at two different places, and they did not experienced any leak. Of course it is not as good as a metal keg.

Back