Pet bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GkF

Reaction score
Guys I am having a strange issue happening with my pet bottles. Used them for 4 brew jobs with new caps every time.
I store my bottled brew in a rubbermaid container and it is dry when I put my bottles in but after a few days the bottom is wet and a few bottles have leaked enough to make the container bottom wet with beer.
All bottles feel dry and when I squeeze each they will not leak.
What is going on?

Thanks guy's
I should have mentioned that I crank the caps as tight as I can. Also the over carbonated idea has me wondering.
I did noticed on a few brews when I open a random bottom some would foam right out of the bottle.
Maybe this is the trouble
What is the idea here to not over carbonation the brew?

They are either leaking from under the caps (due to over carb or under tightened caps) or one of the bottles has a hole/leak elsewhere.

Is it possible a bottle had a crack? If not, sounds like over carb (plastic can withstand a lot, but will eventually leak from high enough pressure).

I have 64 p.e.t bottles and make 2 kits sometimes as I cycle through all bottles I mark the ones that look like they have leaked . So the next time I brew these bottles often never leak again and then other ones start to leak.
I have even stood on a leaked bottle and no sign of cracks or could I make it leak.
This is what I am so puzzled about.
I fill all with a bottling valve thing so all are about 1 inch from the cap.
All items are cleaned with star san
So I have 10 gal working now so when this is ok to bottle I think I will only use half of the cain sugar this time and see what happens.
It is really random and not all the time but beer is still fantastic

Last edited:
I've heard of exotics pets before, but I've never heard of someone having bottles as pets. To each their own I guess...

i used to keep 4-5 1 liters as pets...i made sure to feed them at least every other day...

but to the OP, what caps are you using? they need the soft rubber inside lining for beer. just found that out trying to use a empty water bottle.

Thanks guys
No not cleaning in hot water as per the cleaning instruction that was with the bottles. The caps are white and do have a blueish tint seal inside

My bet would be that the caps aren't sealing properly and beer/foam is leaking out as pressure builds from fermenting the priming sugar.

PET bottles can be flaky in my experience. When they work, they work... but I remember several years ago I bought 2 cases of 24 PET bottles from my local brew shop and they were terrible. Half the beers were fine, but half were flatter than piss on a plate after pouring. Obviously the caps were not holding pressure on those ones. I tossed them in the blue bin and cut my losses.

Thanks guy's
I should have mentioned that I crank the caps as tight as I can. Also the over carbonated idea has me wondering.
I did noticed on a few brews when I open a random bottom some would foam right out of the bottle.
Maybe this is the trouble
What is the idea here to not over carbonation the brew?
So nobody has picked up on this. If the bottles foam over (foam out of the bottles) as soon as opened, they are apparently over carbed. There are several possibilities for that can result in overcarbing, but that seems like a likely cause. Too much priming sugar, infection, not finished fermenting. . .

Thanks for your thoughts
But my sg shows ready to bottle when I test for3 days one after another day

I put my bottles in but after a few days the bottom is wet and a few bottles have leaked
So nobody has picked up on this. If the bottles foam over (foam out of the bottles) as soon as opened, they are apparently over carbed. There are several possibilities for that can result in overcarbing, but that seems like a likely cause. Too much priming sugar, infection, not finished fermenting. . .

i just had to reread the first post.....make sure everyone isn't crazy....

I was trying several single hop experiments last summer and had a couple batches that were over carbonated. I bottle. They foamed over quickly after opening the bottles. I think it was the result of me being on a hurry to get through several one gallon batches and bottling before final gravity was actually achieved.

Thanks for your thoughts
But my sg shows ready to bottle when I test for3 days one after another day

Not sure I follow that. Maybe just to say it slightly different...

When you have the same SG reading 3 days apart it's ready for bottling.

Your SG reading is a hydrometer isn't it?

Though I used a refractometer for other stuff at my last job, I don't quite trust them for beer. They aren't reading the density of the liquid and everything about them is a big fudge factor based on things that might not be your beer. IMO though, but that's the idea I got when reading about them.

Thank you and yes I use refractometer as you use.i only bottle when I can the same sg for days.

Guys just had a very strange thing happen as my bottles were leaking I put them in the fridge to stop the action too my shock.....
Cracked open a bottle tonight and it was the best home brew I have ever made
Bottles were only at room temp for 1 week and in the fridge for the second week

So how did this make the beer so good?
I am very confused

I have used Cooper PET bottles for years & never had a problem, I buy new caps every few years.

Back