PET bottles???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fat

Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about the "Better Bottle"?? They're advertised as being better than a carboy because they're made of PET plastic. Well, so are most soda bottles, and water-cooler jugs. In fact, the "Better Bottles" that I've seen look suspiciously like water-cooler jugs with a different label on them. The only difference is that "Better Bottles" cost twice as much.

Does anybody know why that is? Are there different grades of PET plastic?

yea i got alook at one close up and personal at my neighborhood hbs and they are nothing more than a plastic carboy with a fancy lable on them. the store near me sells them for around 50 dollars, hu, i dont get it.

rightwingnut said:
Can't imagine they're better than glass...the onlt benefit I can see is that they're lighter.

Lighter is half of it. The other half is that you can buy a little directional racking arm with a faucet so you don't have to siphon. I've heard of people plumbing a faucet on a glass carboy, but it looks a little too risky for me to try. Also, if you were to get the water-cooler jugs instead of "better bottles" they cost less than a glass carboy.

I can see the advantage of using something like this for primary fermentation where you're not as worried about oxygen getting in. Assuming you have a vigorous and short primary then rack to a glass carboy for secondary, it might be nice to have a PET bottle.

Personally, I've been really curious about the Nalgene carboys - they come in HDPE, lexan, etc. http://www.nalgenelabware.com/products/productList.asp?search=2&keyword=carboy

rooftopbrew said:
I can see the advantage of using something like this for primary fermentation where you're not as worried about oxygen getting in. Assuming you have a vigorous and short primary then rack to a glass carboy for secondary, it might be nice to have a PET bottle.

Personally, I've been really curious about the Nalgene carboys - they come in HDPE, lexan, etc. http://www.nalgenelabware.com/products/productList.asp?search=2&keyword=carboy

So standard PET bottles are oxygen permiable?? If so, that's the difference. The 'Better Bottles' are billed as non-oxygen permiable.

Uncle Fat said:
So standard PET bottles are oxygen permiable?? If so, that's the difference. The 'Better Bottles' are billed as non-oxygen permiable.

If they're advertised as not being Oxygen permiable, I'd take their word on that. Whether or not they are, it shouldn't matter as much for primary fermentation as it would for secondary or lagering.

rooftopbrew said:
If they're advertised as not being Oxygen permiable, I'd take their word on that. Whether or not they are, it shouldn't matter as much for primary fermentation as it would for secondary or lagering.

Hey Rooftop.. I noticed you're from Portland too. Are you a brewcrew member?

Back