PET bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz_monroe

Reaction score
Anyone make use of the PET bottles? I understand that it doesn't leave any off flavors. So I picked up some at my local HBS and bottled into a dozen of them today. The screw on top is great since I hate capping. I'll know in a couple weeks how it works out.

The main reason I wanted to try this out is I camp a lot and non-breakable bottles would be a big plus. I bottled a strawberry blond ale into them, so if anything will leave a taste, I would think the flavoring would do it.

I exclusively use the 500ML brown 'long neck' PET bottles. I love them for the easy capping, easy cleaning and they're pretty much unbreakable. No bottle bombs either.

I have enough PET bottles for about 7 gallons of beer. I put some of each batch in the PET for easy transport and 'squeeze' C02 testing. Never had any problems with them. Even after a year of sitting in a cool dark place the beer is fine in there. I do prefer glass, but I find its handy to have some PET around.

So, do you guys use new caps every time or can you re-use the caps? I think I'm going to use new caps every time, but it's nice to have options. I figure I'll put some of each batch into PET.

I use my caps 3 times before I dispose of them. I put a mark with permanent marker at each bottling. Just do yourself a favour and snap off the lock ring before you use the caps. You don't need them on your bottles and they're just annoying.

Back