PET bottles can they explode?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raf1919

Reaction score
I just bottled my batch yesterday and i'm sure i got sugar fine but just worried where i can put them.. I want to keep them in house so its warmer but i'm worried if they explode whole room will be cover in beer.

how do PET bottles explode? do they just stretch and crack and leak beer? or is like a a grenade?

the only reason that the bottles would explode is IF you bottled before fermentation was over, or used WAY to much sugar. Most people who end up with bottle bombs, bottle way to early, and the fermentation starts all over again in the bottle, when the sugar is added.

If I want to be cautious about a batch, I put the bottles in a cardboard box, tape it shut then put the boxes in a large container. The theory is the carboard will contain any shrapnel and the container will contain any liquid.

The container for the box can be a swamp cooler bucket, large rubbermade container or a trash bag

IF you are worried.... even when you are sure you used the correct amount of priming sugar. Place your bottles upright inside of a black plastic bag(s).

I put all my bottles in one of these, with the lid on, and a blanket over the entire deal to keep light out. Then they carb/age in the basement.
PD1_16598008.jpg

That way if any do explode, they are contained and there will be no mess all over the place.

^^ +1 I use an opaque bin so i don't have to cover it. If you have an extra bathroom, that would be a good place to leave the bottles as well.

ok i have them in large bucket w/ towel on top. its in PET bottles so i dont think shrapnel will fly .. will it? i just dont want a mess.

If you use the correct amoung of sugar, and don't bottle to early you have nothing to worry about. Relax and enjoy the snow storm.

well i may have bottled slightly early.. its my first batch and really wanted to have it ready for xmas.

I think your question is really about fracture modes of the pressure vessel, in this case, the bottle. Glass is a very hard and brittle material. If you drop a glass object onto a hard material (think bottle to concrete floor) from a very short distance, it will bounce but as the distance increases, the velocity does too which increases the deformation of the glass as we assume the concrete to not deform at all. At some point the deformation of the glass will become too great and the bottle will shatter.

Try this with a PET bottle. The PET plastic is not brittle and it will bounce. If you increase the velocity enough, the bottle will break but because it isn't a brittle structure, it tends to split in a single line and spill its contents. Thus, if you put too much pressure in the PET bottles (too much priming sugar) you may create a bottle bomb but it will not spray sharp particles all over, just beer. You will get an indication of too much pressure from the PET bottles too as they become more rigid when you try to squeeze them. If you open one with too much pressure from the carbon dioxide, you will have beer spraying all over too.

Back