Perrin Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On tap in Eagle River right now:
VPL
Razzberry Blonde
You Bretta Run
Blackberry IPA
Grapefruit IPA
98 Problems
Papa Don's Porter
Lil' Griz
Lotsa Problems
With Kindness
No Rules

Their new Apricot Sour, cleverly named Apricot Sour, is seriously weak. It's a shame too, as Kettle Sour and Roeselare show they can make good sours.

Their new Apricot Sour, cleverly named Apricot Sour, is seriously weak. It's a shame too, as Kettle Sour and Roeselare show they can make good sours.
Even the Capital City Cherry was better (other than the price point). The saison they bottled is actually more flavorful and complex than the Apricot Sour. Roeselare held up well. For some reason, I get touches of acetone in some their sours, however.

Even the Capital City Cherry was better (other than the price point). The saison they bottled is actually more flavorful and complex than the Apricot Sour. Roeselare held up well. For some reason, I get touches of acetone in some their sours, however.
Brought one of each home, looking forward to trying them. Thought Capital City was pretty solid.

I left somewhat early, so part of what I'll add is my understanding of how things went overall, with the caveat that somebody who stayed for the whole thing may be able to fill in the details more satisfactorily.

So the event, which was a 4th anniversary party, was relying as its main draw, on the fact that they'd be selling a new one-off release they wouldn't be bottling, called Nuclear No Rules. Basically No Rules that spent extra time in the barrel, and had an ABV of 20% instead of the regular 15%. As you might imagine, it was the promise of this beer that enticed many people to buy a ticket, as otherwise there was nothing special enough to draw people out to Perrin who wouldn't otherwise show up on a Saturday. I guess technically they also debuted Unfinished Business (which has its own labeling issues - what the hell is single malt bourbon?), but since every retailer in the area was taking pre-orders with no limits, case discounts, and lower prices than Perrin, I'd still say that Nuclear No Rules was the only reason many of us went.

You had to either buy a ticket in advance, for $8.38 online, or for $10 onsite. This included literally nothing. As soon as you entered, they told you to take a raffle ticket, not explaining its significance. Then you were directed to a beer tickets line, where you had to pay $1 per ticket to buy beers whose pour cost and size varied, and which wasn't particularly easy to see from line, making it hard to know how many to buy. In my experience, the pours were overpriced for the high ABV stuff, but that isn't a big deal.

What is a big deal is the handling of Nuclear No Rules. In advance of the event, no information was provided save that it would be available. So one might reasonably assume that it would be available at the start of the event (3 Pm for mug club members, 4 PM for other ticket holders), or at least soon thereafter. I learned that it wouldn't be available until 9 PM (though I'm now hearing it was poured at 8 PM). Now, like many people, I made plans around going there for 4 PM, and not staying for 5-6 hours to try one beer, because they provided no information to suggest it was necessary to plan that way. So I spent the tickets I bought and left. From what I gather from those who stayed, the aforementioned raffle tickets were used to determine which of people in attendance had won the right to purchase a pour. A 3 oz pour for $8, and one which required and extra round or two of exchanging tickets, just to make it extra inconvenient.

So basically, the event was sold on the back of Nuclear No Rules, which they purposely didn't tap until 5-6 hours after the event start time to force people to stick around and overpay for a beer list not especially different from what the taproom normally offers, with the caveat that even those who stuck around could easily be screwed out of buying an extremely small and badly overpriced pour.

TL;DR - **** Perrin

I left somewhat early, so part of what I'll add is my understanding of how things went overall, with the caveat that somebody who stayed for the whole thing may be able to fill in the details more satisfactorily.

So the event, which was a 4th anniversary party, was relying as its main draw, on the fact that they'd be selling a new one-off release they wouldn't be bottling, called Nuclear No Rules. Basically No Rules that spent extra time in the barrel, and had an ABV of 20% instead of the regular 15%. As you might imagine, it was the promise of this beer that enticed many people to buy a ticket, as otherwise there was nothing special enough to draw people out to Perrin who wouldn't otherwise show up on a Saturday. I guess technically they also debuted Unfinished Business (which has its own labeling issues - what the hell is single malt bourbon?), but since every retailer in the area was taking pre-orders with no limits, case discounts, and lower prices than Perrin, I'd still say that Nuclear No Rules was the only reason many of us went.

You had to either buy a ticket in advance, for $8.38 online, or for $10 onsite. This included literally nothing. As soon as you entered, they told you to take a raffle ticket, not explaining its significance. Then you were directed to a beer tickets line, where you had to pay $1 per ticket to buy beers whose pour cost and size varied, and which wasn't particularly easy to see from line, making it hard to know how many to buy. In my experience, the pours were overpriced for the high ABV stuff, but that isn't a big deal.

What is a big deal is the handling of Nuclear No Rules. In advance of the event, no information was provided save that it would be available. So one might reasonably assume that it would be available at the start of the event (3 Pm for mug club members, 4 PM for other ticket holders), or at least soon thereafter. I learned that it wouldn't be available until 9 PM (though I'm now hearing it was poured at 8 PM). Now, like many people, I made plans around going there for 4 PM, and not staying for 5-6 hours to try one beer, because they provided no information to suggest it was necessary to plan that way. So I spent the tickets I bought and left. From what I gather from those who stayed, the aforementioned raffle tickets were used to determine which of people in attendance had won the right to purchase a pour. A 3 oz pour for $8, and one which required and extra round or two of exchanging tickets, just to make it extra inconvenient.

So basically, the event was sold on the back of Nuclear No Rules, which they purposely didn't tap until 5-6 hours after the event start time to force people to stick around and overpay for a beer list not especially different from what the taproom normally offers, with the caveat that even those who stuck around could easily be screwed out of buying an extremely small and badly overpriced pour.

TL;DR - **** Perrin

Wow.

TL;DR - **** Perrin
What a ****ing joke.

Oof, sounds like a totally mismanaged event. Why do people feel the need to make such a big deal out of this ****? Just throw a party, sell some beer if you have it, enjoy yourselves.

Cock muckers.

Has Perrin said anything about it yet?

If they have, I've not seen it. Hopefully they do a better job handling this than Odd Side did with their serial infection issue. The sad reality though is that the people who care and will hold breweries to account are such a tiny minority of beer consumers that in a state like Michigan, where breweries far worse than Odd Side or Perrin easily stay afloat, there's relatively little incentive to give a damn about the people who are justifiably dissatisfied.

Last edited:
If they have, I've not seen it. Hopefully they do a better job handling this than Odd Side did with their serial infection issue. The sad reality though is that the people who care are and will hold breweries to account are such a tiny minority of beer consumers that in a state like Michigan, where breweries far worse than Odd Side or Perrin easily stay afloat, there's relatively little incentive to give a damn about the people who are justifiably dissatisfied.
Well said

From Perrin's FB account...

Perrin Brewing Company
10 mins ·

As many of you know (thank you to the 3,200+ awesome people who showed up), this past Saturday we celebrated our 4th anniversary at our “Nuclear Noize” party. At the event we released a highly anticipated beer called “Nuclear No Rules”, which is a 20% version of the original “No Rules” Vietnamese Imperial Porter. We underestimated the amount of attention this beer would bring to our event. Given the fact we had such a limited quantity, we had a raffle for the product at the event, in what we thought was a fair way to give everyone a “chance” to try it. Bottom line, we “f___ed up” big time. We did not effectively execute the details of this release including the raffle details and tappings. We want to sincerely apologize for the way this went down. Due to our mistakes and to hopefully let you know how much we appreciate your incredible support over the past four years, we would like to invite anyone interested to come out to Perrin this Saturday, September 24th for the pouring of the remainder of the "Nuclear No Rules" which is just under 4,000 oz. (this is a genuine attempt on our part to make up for “our bad” on this past Saturday at the party…..not a “gimmick” to try and get you back out here). This will be on a first come, first serve basis as we really have no idea how long this “one-off" beer will last. We will start pouring at 12 noon and we will pour until every ounce is gone, $8 for a 4 oz. pour. Once again, thanks for your awesome support since day one!

- All of your friends at Perrin

Kudos to them for stepping up and admitting their **** up.

Perrin Brewing Company
10 mins ·

As many of you know (thank you to the 3,200+ awesome people who showed up), this past Saturday we celebrated our 4th anniversary at our “Nuclear Noize” party. At the event we released a highly anticipated beer called “Nuclear No Rules”, which is a 20% version of the original “No Rules” Vietnamese Imperial Porter. We underestimated the amount of attention this beer would bring to our event. Given the fact we had such a limited quantity, we had a raffle for the product at the event, in what we thought was a fair way to give everyone a “chance” to try it. Bottom line, we “f___ed up” big time. We did not effectively execute the details of this release including the raffle details and tappings. We want to sincerely apologize for the way this went down. Due to our mistakes and to hopefully let you know how much we appreciate your incredible support over the past four years, we would like to invite anyone interested to come out to Perrin this Saturday, September 24th for the pouring of the remainder of the "Nuclear No Rules" which is just under 4,000 oz. (this is a genuine attempt on our part to make up for “our bad” on this past Saturday at the party…..not a “gimmick” to try and get you back out here). This will be on a first come, first serve basis as we really have no idea how long this “one-off" beer will last. We will start pouring at 12 noon and we will pour until every ounce is gone, $8 for a 4 oz. pour. Once again, thanks for your awesome support since day one!

Indeed, quick response and hopefully they will learn from this. It certainly is better than Odd Side telling people (after the fact) that they should have consumed their BBA stouts within the first 90 days after purchase while denying that any of the beer was infected.

In hindsight, it is easy to point out that if Perrin only had "X" number of pours of the beer, they should have limited attendance by that many tickets. That said, they are making lemonade out of lemons.

Perrin Brewing Company
10 mins ·

Did you have to buy a ticket to attend the event? If tickets were sold, didn't they have an idea how many folks would show up? Maybe I'm missing something here.

So then they had a pretty damn good idea how many people would be there. And if the issue was so many onsite tickets being sold, then just don't sell as many.

You knew how many people would be there. Don't give us this "Wow, we had no idea it'd be so popular" ********. You can ****ing count.

So then they had a pretty damn good idea how many people would be there. And if the issue was so many onsite tickets being sold, then just don't sell as many.

You knew how many people would be there. Don't give us this "Wow, we had no idea it'd be so popular" ********. You can ****ing count.
Ya, that response is laughable. "We super hyped, this beefed up version of a super hyped beer we produce, and you showed up, we didn't know that would happen!"...and at the price they were offering it at the party, I doubt even HALF the people were interested in a pour.

Indeed, quick response and hopefully they will learn from this. It certainly is better than Odd Side telling people (after the fact) that they should have consumed their BBA stouts within the first 90 days after purchase while denying that any of the beer was infected.
I didn't have a single infected beer from Odd Side. I also only bought what I could reasonably consume and drank it before spring.

Please take the Odd Side bashing back to BA. I am exhausted from all that ****. People want OSA to burn to the ground because they didn't acknowledge them each and individually through all the mud slinging. **** off. I'd be defensive too if I had to deal with the shithead know-it-alls on BA.

Sorry, but that response doesn't cut it. Telling me, after I wasted time and money, that I can come buy and pay $2 per oz for a micro pour on what is sure to be a cluster**** of a day, doesn't suffice. Yes, they admitted to making an error, which is more than can be said for Odd Side. But that doesn't show contrition, nor does it attempt to explain credibly why the error was made and how they'll avoid it going forward. So personally, I'm done with Perrin. Plenty of other beer on the shelves here that is as good or better than anything Perrin puts out, sans the deception and/or incompetence.

I didn't have a single infected beer from Odd Side. I also only bought what I could reasonably consume and drank it before spring.

Please take the Odd Side bashing back to BA. I am exhausted from all that ****. People want OSA to burn to the ground because they didn't acknowledge them each and individually through all the mud slinging. **** off. I'd be defensive too if I had to deal with the shithead know-it-alls on BA.
eh, i bought very little oddside, but to do absolutely nothing when it comes to $1000s of infected product and then re-release beers with a label that says "drink fresh" is pretty objectively shitty. if you can't take the loss, don't release the beer.

eh, i bought very little oddside, but to do absolutely nothing when it comes to $1000s of infected product and then re-release beers with a label that says "drink fresh" is pretty objectively shitty. if you can't take the loss, don't release the beer.
They can't take the financial loss. They're too small to absorb it. And they obviously weren't aware of the issue beforehand.
However, in their defense... **** all the shitbirds on BA. (also in the WMCBE ;) )

No excuse, but if you were them and taking all that beer back, or refunding, what would you do? What if you truly didn't taste what people were tasting? They were in a tough spot and people are unhappy with the outcome.
****ing move on.
I'll keep buying their stuff as I've had nothing but good rapport with Josh and the team. I've also not had an infected beer.

I'll keep buying their stuff as I've had nothing but good rapport with Josh and the team. I've also not had an infected beer.

That's the crux of the matter, isn't it? I never lined up for those bottles, so I never had an infected beer, and therefore have continued buying their product. But the outrage people have who bought multiple cases that proved to be infected seems entirely justifiable.

That's the crux of the matter, isn't it? I never lined up for those bottles, so I never had an infected beer, and therefore have continued buying their product. But the outrage people have who bought multiple cases that proved to be infected seems entirely justifiable.
I did in fact line up for those bottles. I also bought multiple cases.
I did not, however, fill a Kia. ;)

Please just put me on ignore/block if my comments bother you that much. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back on topic guys, this is the Perrin thread.

So, has anyone tried Unfinished Business yet?

That's one of the pours I bought while at Nuclear Noize. It was good, not great. No Rules is better (not that they're meant to be exactly the same sort of beer). At $16 a bottle (everywhere except the Perrin event, where it was $17 a bottle), it is reasonable to pick up one, but I wouldn't want a case of it like many people pre-ordered.

I still want to know what the hell they mean when they say it is aged in single malt bourbon barrels, because that isn't a thing.

Most places in GR posted on FB weeks ago, saying it'll be limited, get on our list, case discounts, hurry before the list fills up. Monday, all those same places posted pictures of 20+ cases, or more. Plenty for everyone, case discounts, hurry before it's gone.

I won't be buying any. I have plenty of great beer that doesn't need to be hyped from here to kingdom come to move off a shelf.

(Get off my lawn)

Despite my usual avoidance of the hype machine, when my buddy offered the opportunity to purchase a couple bottles at the case discount I agreed. He came over tonight to pick up the 4pk of Transient Obligatory I picked up for him this weekend and brought a crowler of Great Notion Double Stack, which we enjoyed immensely before I cracked one of my bottles of Unfinished Business. I must say, given my skepticism of Perrin BBA beer, this one exceeded my expectations, medium body, and really balanced flavors. Some booziness as expected for the ABV, but nothing off-putting.

It isn't Black Note, but it's not Dragon's Milk either. It's somewhere in between, better than but not quite there. I liked it, "would" do again.
PuGSlXh.jpg

That's one of the pours I bought while at Nuclear Noize. It was good, not great. No Rules is better (not that they're meant to be exactly the same sort of beer). At $16 a bottle (everywhere except the Perrin event, where it was $17 a bottle), it is reasonable to pick up one, but I wouldn't want a case of it like many people pre-ordered.

I still want to know what the hell they mean when they say it is aged in single malt bourbon barrels, because that isn't a thing.
Not to sound like too much of a prude here, but why are people having trouble understanding single malt Bourbon? Is the term main stream, no. Does it make sense, absolutely yes. A Bourbon (which no longer needs to be made in Kentucky) made from a single malt source.
Probably 2 row, the distillery was probably Westland.

Most places in GR posted on FB weeks ago, saying it'll be limited, get on our list, case discounts, hurry before the list fills up. Monday, all those same places posted pictures of 20+ cases, or more. Plenty for everyone, case discounts, hurry before it's gone.

I won't be buying any. I have plenty of great beer that doesn't need to be hyped from here to kingdom come to move off a shelf.

(Get off my lawn)
I feel ya man. Unfortunately Perrin has the resources to do that now. Hence the Hot Box vs. Kona brown thing... They are willing and able to ride the perpetual wave of marketing, this is just the beginning.

Back