Perpetual NY/NJ/CT bulk grain thread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been great meeting all you guys... I have the remaining bags of grain in my van by my house, about 20 blocks south of my studio. Bohdan and rmullins: would you object to picking up here? I'm near 59th ST and 7th Avenue in Brooklyn, 11220. Call or text tonight or in the morning to let me know if this works for you.

Enjoy your cheap grain everyone!

Ok, I be there tomorrow around 10am. I let you know when I get in the city. Iam still at work till 1am tonight that's why I be there later than I planed.

Hey Josh. Can I pick up grain on sunday after noon? We have a big party at hotell and I just found out that I be working till 2am. I let you know in the morning if I can make it on saturday or sunday.

hoppshead & magnj, your grain arrived safely!!

magnj i will see you sunday morning sometime, let me know when..

hophead, let me know when will work for you, i should be around today and tomorrow

wilserbrewer - i think you left behind a sack from badcoffee on your pickup last night, joshua gave it to me to trek across state lines.. you can grab it from my place in montclair.. or if it is easier for you i work in Warren, hunterdon county.. i can run it down there for pick up.. let me know..

thanks again to joshua for making this all possible

Hey Josh. Can I pick up grain on sunday after noon? We have a big party at hotell and I just found out that I be working till 2am. I let you know in the morning if I can make it on saturday or sunday.

Sorry Bohdan, Sunday won't work for me. Today by 11am would really be best, otherwise it's going to be tricky to find a time that works in the next several days.

wilserbrewer - i think you left behind a sack from badcoffee on your pickup last night, joshua gave it to me to trek across state lines.. you can grab it from my place in montclair.. or if it is easier for you i work in Warren, hunterdon county.. i can run it down there for pick up.. let me know..

Wilser, this is a small bag of Vienna for Flan... not sure which one of you he is closer to. Sorry I missed this in the hand-off and I hope it's not too much trouble to figure out.

Ok, josh iam on the way, I be there before 11am. I let you know when I be in the city. I meet you at 59th and 7th ave.

Ok, josh iam on the way, I be there before 11am. I let you know when I be in the city. I meet you at 59th and 7th ave.

Bohdan, I hope it was clear that I'm at 59th & 7th in Brooklyn, not Manhattan! See you soon.

hoppshead & magnj, your grain arrived safely!!

magnj i will see you sunday morning sometime, let me know when..

hophead, let me know when will work for you, i should be around today and tomorrow

thanks again to joshua for making this all possible

IOU one! Tomorrow is best for me, I've got some things going on this afternoon, but could def come by later at some point. What's good for you? If magnj is coming tomorrow AM, I could do that so you don't have to take more time out of your weekend than necessary. :mug: Thanks again! Much appreciated..

Josh you are the man! :rockin:
thanks alot, it was finaly nice meeting you after all of your work and so many posts!!!
i got home very nicely, with a 400lb of grain in my celica it had no problem pulling the weight above set speed limit on the high way, i was surprised mysellf. its a 190 mile trip that took me 3 hours and 3/4 tank of 93 octane gas. the only thing was missing on the trip was, a cute blonde "working that shifter of mine".:ban:
shecky you can stop by and get the grain tomorrow(Sunday) at 6pm, cant do any sooner than that because i got Taijutsu practice till 5pm or a Monday morning. Josh did a nice job labeling evry bag of grain for us.
the only thing that is left now, is to brew some beer from this grain get together and try it!:mug:

Ok, that's perfect. I see you on Monday at 11am. Just give me a call then you are around the bend.

IOU one! Tomorrow is best for me, I've got some things going on this afternoon, but could def come by later at some point. What's good for you? If magnj is coming tomorrow AM, I could do that so you don't have to take more time out of your weekend than necessary. :mug: Thanks again! Much appreciated..

SWMBO messed her back up good, so i am staying local all weekend.. maybe i'l crack open a couple of my new sacks and brew something... really, any time this weekend will work for me.

SWMBO messed her back up good, so i am staying local all weekend.. maybe i'l crack open a couple of my new sacks and brew something... really, any time this weekend will work for me.

oof, nothing worse than back injuries! Tomorrow would be good for me... 11am sound good? Or whatever works for you. Just PM me address, or I'll give you a call..

Wilser, this is a small bag of Vienna for Flan... not sure which one of you he is closer to. Sorry I missed this in the hand-off and I hope it's not too much trouble to figure out.

Sorry guys, I had no idea about the small bag of Vienna for flan...no worries. I will mention it to flan when he gets home from florida and picks up his order frome me. At that point, he can make arrangements w/ p'herring. If that is the only thing that fell through the cracks...I think we did pretty well!

Thanks again Josh for all your work and help loading my vehicle. I'm out.

Big thanks to Josh for organizing everything! Also, Pickledherring for hauling my grain out to jersey for a convenient pickup! I owe you some homebrew next time! ...So psyched to have such massive amounts of grain!:rockin:

Agreed, thanks Josh! Also thanks for hauling Pickledherring. I have a lot of measuring to do this week.

If I foodsaver the bags down to 10lb packages is it ok to freeze them?

I just returned from getting my grain and jaginger's grain from bohdan. Many thanks to him for making the run, and again many thanks to Josh for organizing this.

My wife is going to **** a brick when she sees all that grain. :)

Anybody brew anything with their grains yet? Wish I could have taken advantage of the snow day, but I'm waiting on some specialty grains/hops. I've got a few brews in mind..

Anybody brew anything with their grains yet? Wish I could have taken advantage of the snow day, but I'm waiting on some specialty grains/hops. I've got a few brews in mind..

I brewed a winter wit on my fire escape yesterday.. i hope snowflakes are sanitary! got the wort chilled in record time though.

Thanks to everyone for the 'thank yous' -- I was happy to take a turn.

The process did make me think some changes could make a group buy run better: Whole bags only (individuals could arrange split bags amongst themselves), a minimum order of 3 or 4 bags, arranging a delivery day when all buyers have the day free and can meet up as a group and exchange homebrews... just brainstorming ideas for the next organizer to consider.

It was great to meet those of you make pickups! Enjoy the grain everyone!

I know I didn't get in on the last one (waiting to buy my grain mill), but one thought on those proposed changes.

The multiple bag minimum might scare some people away. I will definitely be looking for a bag of base malt, but don't brew enough to buy more than one bag each go around. I agree with the no splitting of bags idea, that just complicates things too much for the organizer.

Agreed on the no splitting bags even though I didn't have to break them down I know it was a lot of work. You guys did great though my bags were all spot on weight wise.

I don't have any brews planned yet, but probably some stouts, gonna have to get some roasted and choco malts when I get a few more bucks. Otherwise I have a LOT of hops and a LOT of 2-row and honey so IPA's for a while lol.

I know I didn't get in on the last one (waiting to buy my grain mill), but one thought on those proposed changes.

The multiple bag minimum might scare some people away. I will definitely be looking for a bag of base malt, but don't brew enough to buy more than one bag each go around. I agree with the no splitting of bags idea, that just complicates things too much for the organizer.

Yeah, I'm not saying all those ideas should be incorporated, just brainstorming... for people who just need one bag of malt, it may be worth it to pay the $15-20 Fedex Ground charge to have it shipped directly to your door from NCM, instead of spending the time and money to pick up from a group buy. On the other hand, if the brewers could all meet up at pickup and share beers and shoot the shiz, that could make the drive worthwhile.

I don't agree with the minimum order. If I only need a bag of two row, why do I not get in on the order?

Splitting bags, well, if both people are there to pickup, and have a scale and bags/buckets, why not? If the organizer has to deal with it, that's a different story.

B

Big thanks to Josh, Wilser, and mother nature for not only a few extra days in the sunny south but also 170+lbs of fantastic grain. I'm going to figure out a beer using apollo, summit, and either amarillo or cascade hops. Any suggestions using any of the following..... 2 row or Marris Otter, munich, c40, c60, c75, and Pacman yeast? Hey "Sil" (that's pickled herring in Swedish), let's figure out how to meet up.

I just returned from getting my grain and jaginger's grain from bohdan. Many thanks to him for making the run, and again many thanks to Josh for organizing this.

My wife is going to **** a brick when she sees all that grain. :)

no problem, i haven't brew anything with that grain yet, i have to finish that brew rig that you seen in my garage. need to order pump and run LP lines by the next week.

So who's got my Vienna LOL? I just read through and it seems some grains are missing their poppa. Whoever has it please PM me and we'll figure something out.

Flan, did you and pickledherring meet up for the Vienna drop? Hopefully all is good. Sorry again for the mix up.

Everyone enjoying their grain? We have a crisp, easy-drinking cream ale popping on Pacman yeast right now.

Pickled and I haven't hooked up yet. I sent him a PM with my number so hopefully he'll call this week. We don't live too close to each other so I hope to get it worked out. I did brew up an APA using Summit, simcoe, and amarillo currently burping away on pacman yeast and have plans for an american wheat this week as well.

Kinda funny so soon after our order, but I could probably use a few bags of 2-row before too long... :)

Back