Expectations from grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunctionPoint

Reaction score
The grain bill is already milled and on route.
This is first time putting together a grain bill and not sure what to expect.
I tried to keep the SRM and IBU within range for an American Pale Ale.

Malts (12 lb)
7 lb (58.3%) — Gambrinus Pilsner 2-Row — Grain — 3.2 EBC
3 lb (25%) — Crisp Extra Pale Maris Otter® Malt — Grain — 3.4 EBC
1 lb (8.3%) — Briess Carapils — Grain — 2.6 EBC
1 lb (8.3%) — Proximity Malt Crystal 40L — Grain — 79 EBC

Hops (4 oz)
1 oz (26 IBU) — Galaxy 14% — Boil — 20 min
0.75 oz (6 IBU) — Galaxy 14% — Boil 5 min
1 oz (4 IBU) — Galaxy 14% — Boil — 2 min
1.25 oz — Galaxy 14% — Boil — 0 min

Yeast
1 pkg — Fermentis US-05 Safale American 81%

Not sure what kind of answer your looking for but I have a few questions. Why marris otter? That will darken the beer up quite a bit and I’d move like an oz of Hops to either first wort hop or @60, it’s not a juicy ipa your going to want some bitterness. And I’d just add the last 2oz to flameout and steep for 20 your just looking for mostly aroma at that point so just make it easy.

I expect it will turn into beer.

Take good notes when you're brewing and then again when you're tasting. Make adjustments as needed to get the beer just how you like it. If you need help with those adjustments it's easier for folks to give you input at that point. This beer could turn out just how you like it, we don't really know.

The reason added the extra pale Maria otter was I reading it could be used in a APA.

I done the recipe in brewfather and the SRM = 6.9 and IBU = 36.
I was trying to keep the SRM and IBU with range for an APA.

Like I mentioned new to creating own recipe and just wanted feedback, even though it to late to change the grain.
I just wanted feedback if the grain bill is suitable for an APA or do I have to much of one or to little of something.

Ok that makes more sense, recipe building will take some time to figure out. Not a bad for your first try. As already stated take really good notes so you know what you might want to tweak or not.

Brewer's Friend (which I can't recommend enough) tells me your recipe generally fits the style for an APA. I agree with @Transamguy77, though: you're going to want a little more bitterness in an APA, so move that 20 min addition to 60 min.

If you're interested in recipe building, get a copy of Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. He gives good descriptions of the essence of each style, and he gives a good method for evaluating styles to build your recipe. I also recommend Brewing Classic Styles by John Palmer & Jamil Zainasheff as another source of style information and good recipes of of which to base your recipe designs.

What temperature and how long are you mashing?

If you mash for 60 mins, at around 152, based on your recipe you should expect a somewhat sweet and chewy beer with fairly strong passion fruit, citrus, and tropical fruit flavors and aromas.

Here is why...
  • 8.3% crystal malt is a medium to medium-high amount which will add some sweetness
  • 8.3% carapils will add a lot of unfermentable dextrins creating a lot of mouthfeel (chewiness)
  • 4 oz of late addition hops will provide significant hop flavor and aroma
Some things to think about next time...
  • While it will be just fine, Pilsner malt in an APA is not the usual base malt. APAs typically use pale ale malts (pale malt, Golden Promise (UK), Maris Otter (UK), etc) which have a slightly higher lovibond and will provide the flavors associated with ales. Also, the use of Pilsner malt puts you at more risk of DMS, so a longer boil may be warrented
  • In my opinion 8.3% Carapils (dextrin malt) is a lot. If a chewy beer is what you are targeting then stick with it. If not you may want to reduce to no more than 5%
If your mashing/lautering/boiling process and fermentation temperature control is good, and an ale with good mouthfeel and a lot of hop flavor and aroma is what you are targeting, you should expect a beer you will enjoy :)

Mash calls for 149 for 60 mins.
And boil I was going to go with a 60, but now should extend to 90?
And thanks for the feedback, not hard to tell I'm a rookie lol.
I guess I was reading online that pilsner malt was good for an ABA but guess fudged up.

Lesson learned today, hopefully it still comes out as a decent beer and drinkable

Why marris otter? That will darken the beer up quite a bit

The "Extra Pale" version is a very light colored pale malt (Maris Otter is just a barley variety). Note that it is almost the exact same color as the Pilsner malt. I have not used this one myself, but I have been working through a bag of Muntons Extra Pale. It is one of the more neutral grains I can recall using. I got it at a good price from a local brewery that uses it to make some nice NEIPAs.

I agree with what @Joeywhat said...it looks to me it will make a nice beer. Ask 10 homebrewers about a recipe and you will get 12 opinions. Creating (and improving) recipes can be a big part of the hobby.

that pound of |C-40 will get you to a nice amber color - maybe still within the range of APA.
|It'll add some sweetness.
I used to use that same pound of C-40 in my IPA. Turned out not quite what |I was looking for. I dropped it tp C-10, then out, depending on my mood and grain stock.

Latest posts

Back