perlick shank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I was contemplating buying some perlick faucets here, and I noticed they have 3/16" width shanks, and 1/4" width shanks. Which one do you use with them, or does it matter? And what length would you recommend for a standard keezer collar made out of 2"x6"?

That measurement corresponds to the hose you use. I am using 3/16", as I believe most people would.

As for the length, ensure it is long enough to give you plenty of room to get through the collar and have extra. I went with the 4" ones myself for my fridge conversion.

Get the 3/16 nipples on the shanks. Better resistance, less foaming with less hose. And I'd definately get the 4" shanks as suggested that way you have some length if you decide to insulate your collar.

Hey I just installed mine last night, they look so nice. I went w/ 3/16"(beer line size) and 3" long. This size is perfect length for my keezer. The nipples end just inside the keezer wall. I like this so they do protrude into the keezer, making keg replacement much easier. I drilled7/8" holes which is perfect width. Charlie

The size of your collar almost perfectly mirrors mine, EvilTOJ! I've been floating on cobra taps for a while now, but it's about time that I upgrade to honest FS faucets. Are those from SuperProd forward-sealing? Are these similar?

I also went with 3/16 3" nipple shanks and am very happy with them. If you would want to insulate the collar further you would have to recess the insulation to access the shank.

Fly- those shanks are not similar to Perlicks. The Superior site labels them as forward sealing.

Fly- those shanks are not similar to Perlicks. The Superior site labels them as forward sealing.

Thanks for the clarification, Boerderij Kabouter. Of course, I understand the reasoning for having FS faucets, but they are a bit more expensive. Just trying to sort out my options.

Sorry for the thread jack, TOJ! :D

The actual faucets I was looking at are here and at $31 each it's the cheapest I've found them anywhere. I haven't *actually* built it yet, but from all the designs I've seen I know that I want a keezer with a 2x6 collar. I was considering picnic taps, but since I got the money F that noise! :D

Can you force a 3/16th inch beer line over a 1/4 inch tailpiece barb?

This is what I did for most of my connections; Nice tight fit with no need for clamps! (I still have clamps on my CO2 lines, 'just in case' for when I force carb)

Back