Perlick faucet question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenstein

Reaction score
I am working on a kegging set up and have a question about faucets. I am pretty much decided on Perlicks. I will most likely order a two keg set up from Kegconnection, but a friend got me a gift certificate to Brewmaster's Warehouse, and they show that they have the 525SS in stock. I haven't seen them anywhere else, unless I am missing something. So my question is, should I get the SS faucets, or go with the 525PC faucets when I order from Kegconnection? I have been reading about the leakage problems with 525's, but it seems that it is more common with the SS version - please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm trying to not break the bank, but I'd like to not have to upgrade equipment in a year or two because I went cheap in the beginning. And I don't really need anything else from BMW right now, so I am trying to use the gift certificate to aid in my kegging venture. Also, I am going with Sanke sixtels, if that makes a difference.

Just my .02, from experience, the newer 630s perform much better than the 525s, which are being phased out. The bonnet structure is much more robust. I know it seems like a lot for faucets, but having one start to leak on you is a rel and true pain. I'd also recommend any Perlick over the standard rear-seal kind.

It was my understanding the that 525SS was superceded by the 630SS, but other than the reported drip issue by some users, I'm pretty sure that most 525SS users have been happy with their faucets. I'd suggest sending an email to BW and asking them the question.

Beware of Brewmaster's Warehouse, there have been a lot of reported problems receiving orders from them. Search for the threads. The fact they still list 525SS is a tip-off for their inventory system. Those have been phased out early last year.

Always do your research on vendors.

Last year I purchased 4 525SS from AIH, they were some of the last manufactured batch, and all are working fine. I do believe the 630SS received the well-needed design updates.
Later I purchased SS shanks, tubing, disconnects, MFL fittings, etc. from RiteBrew, as I found them to have the best price at the time.

Beware of Brewmaster's Warehouse, there have been a lot of reported problems receiving orders from them. Search for the threads. The fact they still list 525SS is a tip-off for their inventory system. Those have been phased out early last year.

Always do your research on vendors.

Last year I purchased 4 525SS from AIH, they were some of the last manufactured batch, and all are working fine. I do believe the 630SS received the well-needed design updates.
Later I purchased SS shanks, tubing, disconnects, MFL fittings, etc. from RiteBrew, as I found them to have the best price at the time.

I know that they are having some CS problems. I used to order a lot from BMW, but have decreased my frequency as my bulk grain / hops buying has increased. My friend buys me a $100 gift certificate each year at Christmas and I usually use it to buy my specialty grains or misc. equipment. This year I don't need any of that but I don't want to waste the $$ either :(.

I know that they are having some CS problems. I used to order a lot from BMW, but have decreased my frequency as my bulk grain / hops buying has increased. My friend buys me a $100 gift certificate each year at Christmas and I usually use it to buy my specialty grains or misc. equipment. This year I don't need any of that but I don't want to waste the $$ either :(.

Yeah, I understand that. Not sure how to advice you, their CS has been unreliable, so buying something can be a crap shoot.

Perhaps find what you want, call them to make 200% sure they have it, which is the tricky part. Try to get some sort of guarantee before forking over the gift coupon.

I would recommend the 630SS faucets. Chances are that sometime in the future you will want to add new faucets. Then what will you do? Have them be mismatched? Likely not. Also, if you have problems with the new ones you will get support from perlick. There have been reports that perlick isn't doing warranty on the old faucets because they are too old.

I have (4) 630SS faucets with ss shanks. It is a perfect pour every time. The faucets work great and never stick, even when they sit with beer in the lines for a week or two.

I picked up a pair of the 630ss w/ss barbed shank combos from Beverage Factory about 6 months ago and have been very happy with them. With a $10 off coupon for signing up for the newsletter they came out to about $56 each shipped. That came out to be the best price for me because I needed the handles and I would have had to tack on tailpieces, nuts, and handles anywhere else. If I had been willing to go chrome, I could have found cheaper faucets, but I wanted to stick with SS. Rite Brew's prices were close to the same, but no barbed shank, so...

Adventures in Brewing seemed to have the cheapest price for 650SS's from what I seen. I just picked up two myself. 49.94 each.

Keg connection offers a complete assembly on ebay of both models, the cheaper one for 59.99 the other for 79.99. That includes shank and assembly, but not SS.

AIH also offers the shank assembly in stainless for 6.99. I found a site that sells SS shanks at a 6 inch length for under 25.00. If you wanted to go completely stainless, you could probably do it for about 80 between AIH and that other site.

There is a guy here local to me selling 4 1/8" ss shank, nut and tail piece for $25 and 630ss for 45. Pretty good deal. Quite a few would fit in a small flat rate box if you want.

I picked up a pair of the 630ss w/ss barbed shank combos from Beverage Factory about 6 months ago and have been very happy with them. With a $10 off coupon for signing up for the newsletter they came out to about $56 each shipped. That came out to be the best price for me because I needed the handles and I would have had to tack on tailpieces, nuts, and handles anywhere else. If I had been willing to go chrome, I could have found cheaper faucets, but I wanted to stick with SS. Rite Brew's prices were close to the same, but no barbed shank, so...

That's a good deal for the SS barbed ones. I decided on Bev Seal Ultra with John Guest fittings on each side. Perhaps a trunk line going upstairs one day...

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I will just save up my pennies and go with the 630's. I think I will buy my CO2 tank from BMW so that I can get my use out of the gift certificate.

I plan on keeping it and having it filled. There is a fire extinguisher company a few miles from my house that services and fills CO2 tanks for the beverage industry.

I have bought a lot from BMW as they are about 10 minutes from where I work. What ever you buy call them first. I know they do not have any 525SS as I bought the second to last one, and when I went back to get the last one they said they where out.

I have bought a lot from BMW as they are about 10 minutes from where I work. What ever you buy call them first. I know they do not have any 525SS as I bought the second to last one, and when I went back to get the last one they said they where out.

I e-mailed them the other day and got a response yesterday that said the same thing. Now they have the 630's, but for $59.99 :eek:!

I plan on keeping it and having it filled. There is a fire extinguisher company a few miles from my house that services and fills CO2 tanks for the beverage industry.

At least you get to keep the new shiny tank. :rockin:

I e-mailed them the other day and got a response yesterday that said the same thing. Now they have the 630's, but for $59.99 :eek:!

Yowsers!

I purchased 2 630SS last year because I broke one of my other taps becasue it was stuck. I haven't had an issue since. Perfect pour each and everytime.

I just bought 630SS from ritebrew and they're awesome. Their site said it replaced the 525SS, which was discontinued. I paid $38/ea for the faucets. Got all new beer line and SS shanks and generic black handles, etc. and came out to about $55/ea for 4. I already had 4 faucets from a used keezer I bought, but they were worth the upgrade. Looks so nice and they work perfectly. Best part is knowing I'll have them until my liver is the size of a watermelon.

Back