Perlick Faucet Oring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

Is it possible to replace the oring in the perlick faucets? I found out today that I could have remnants of my root beer left on the oring inside of the area that connects to the shank. I removed it, and sure enough I can smell root beer. Is that possible or am I just smelling remnants of the beer that was in the keg that was contaminated with root beer? (I had a 5 gallon batch that is ruined.)

Anyway, should I mess with this, or should I just buy another faucet?

Thanks!

It's certainly possible to replace any of the parts on a Perl, you can find the parts diagrams on-line and Perlick has a parts ordering page on their web site.

That said, have you tried running something like BLC or LLC through the system to see if you can just clean out the root beer character? Just replacing an o-ring isn't going to get the smell out of the tubing and fittings.

Indeed, I've read that root beer character can be so pernicious that all soft parts have to be replaced to truly get rid of it...

Cheers!

You helped me on this a few months ago. I was hoping that it was the vanilla, but the longer it sits the more root beer I'm tasting. I finally gave up and brewed the recipe again. I just dumped the keg out, but now I'm seeing that it may be difficult for me to get the orings for this faucet. I haven't been able to find anyone that's been able to run to the hardware store. I have vanilla in the beer that I was about to keg, and now it could take a couple of days. I'm thinking I may just run to the homebrew store tomorrow and get their faucet and then get the orings for this one...

I'll NEVER do root beer again.... :p

LOL! I've never made root beer, and from everything I've read about the consequences wrt dispensing equipment, I think I'll stick to store-bought ;)

I don't know that anyone's had much luck sourcing replacement o-rings from the big box stores. You can get replacement sets from eBay...

Cheers!

I think it's easier for me to replace the faucet. It's definitely worth it before I ruin another keg of beer. I just racked it tonight and I have it on gas. I don't have the liquid line connected yet because I'm also replacing the tubing, qd, and now the faucet. That would mean I have replaced everything rubber between the keg and the glass.

I'm sticking to store bought root beer too, and I've learned to start telling my wife NO! :) (She was the reason for the root beer, and she only had ONE glass out of the whole keg.)

Back