Perfect palate cleanser between beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorDuvel

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals...

My friends and I get together each month to try new brews (which is why I got into home brewing, ran out of a good selection of beer we haven't had). The problem is that the beers' qualities tend to get lost when going from one beer to the next (different beer). I usually find out way more about the beer(s) in the days after when I have just one by itself.

Is there a perfect food (or drink) that can cleanse the palette and enable for the receptors in the mouth and brain to do their job, unhindered and unimpeded?

when I was on a cruise they would serve like a cold frothy ginger sorbet type of thing. Thats my only experience with a palette cleanser.

lol - all sound like good ideas...or at least fun

i think i'll try the oyster crackers...thanks everyone!

btw, i HAVE done the slamming of bud light between good beers, but not for the purpose of palette cleansing

If you go with crackers, get unsalted. The salt can really change your perception of beer.

google pictures of the Michigan Brewers Guild Winter Beerfest and you will see pretzel necklaces everywhere. With 5 hours to sample 299 beers, you need something at the ready to cleanse the palatte.

If you go to scotch tastings, they will frequently use oat cakes. Those wipe any flavor at all out of your mouth.

Something bland and starchy usually works well. I like French bread to cleanse my palate.

When cleansing my palette, however, I prefer paint thinner or mineral spirits.

I judge occasionally and I like chunks of broken hard rolls between beers.

FYI: The term for a palate cleanser between courses is intermezzo, and typically is some sort of sorbet. I've been served intermezzos both in a small cone and in a sample-size cup. However, I don't think this is appropriate for beer.

Something bland and starchy usually works well. I like French bread to cleanse my palate.

damn this language! unfortunately, it's the only one i know :D

palate, beer

palette, paint

thanks for all the input everyone...now i'm hungry...and pretzel necklaces sound AMAZING!

Pilot Bread.

138-3232263.highlight.prod_affiliate.7.jpg

Hey guys and gals...

My friends and I get together each month to try new brews (which is why I got into home brewing, ran out of a good selection of beer we haven't had). The problem is that the beers' qualities tend to get lost when going from one beer to the next (different beer). I usually find out way more about the beer(s) in the days after when I have just one by itself.

Is there a perfect food (or drink) that can cleanse the palette and enable for the receptors in the mouth and brain to do their job, unhindered and unimpeded?

Pickled ginger (sushi ginger) followed by clear, cold water will clean & freshen the palate. regards, GF.

This is what typically goes down at most wine tastings, I would recommend this as well.

Back