Perfect Fall Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewgardner

Reaction score
So I am still on the extract...but I want the perfect fall brew to have in my kegerator. I know I am late for an Octoberfest, but that's ok...I have cheated on my brewpot and already been through a couple of cases of Sam Adams Oktoberfest. What's a good idea? I like bitter, hoppy brews just like the rest of you...but I seem to be lacking in the inspiration right now, maybe I just need to do another Arrogant Bastard clone to get me by...please help though!

:mug:

A brown with maple syrup seems like fall to me-have not made one so don't know a good recipe. Pumpkin beers of course if its your thing, I got a pumpkin stout in the fermentor, could go pumpkin ale as well. I think a bourbon stout would be a great fall beer-but that would likely need some time to develop. Maybe do an oktoberfest-Ale, won't take too long to get ready, and would be delicious coming from the kegerator for some football games

Also-I have been thinking about doing a cider/beer hybrid (brandon Os graff)-would be good for fall-in addition to doing a beer

Thanks dabeers...I love the bourbon stout idea...the cider thing would make my wife happy...just as much as the pumpkin ale would! I have some planning to do...

Breck09 said:
Curious what your pumpkin stout recipe is?

Me too! I've heard of way too many good beers lately. Pumpkin stout, malted milk stout (all I can imagine is whoppers candy and it makes me salivate) and I want to try an Irish red recipe I've been playing with. Only problem. All my bottles are filled and we don't drink fast enough!

I rarely brew extract, but I brewed a dry stout almost exactly a year ago that I really felt was the perfect fall brew. It's also a very fast recipe to brew, it was an experiment in "speed brewing," a concept that avoids steeping time and bittering additions in order to brew a beer that only requires a 15 minute boil time to produce a good beer. If you like Guinness, it's like a much better version. Great coffee flavor and incredibly drinkable, perfect for a crisp fall afternoon.

Recipe: Speed Stout
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dry Stout
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.01 gal
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 26.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 85.7 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 14.3 %
4.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 36.8 IBU
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

US-05 yeast

It's based on Jamil's dry stout recipe. Instead of unmalted barley, it uses maltodextrin to achieve a little bit of a thicker mouthfeel. Using just 15 min EKG additions gives it a nice earthy hop flavor that compliments the beer very well. You want to steep the roasted barley while your water is heating up. Start it at 145, and take it out just as it hits 170. Unlike caramel malts, you can steep roasted barley for a very short time. I really enjoyed this beer and so did everyone who tried it.

Me too! I've heard of way too many good beers lately. Pumpkin stout, malted milk stout (all I can imagine is whoppers candy and it makes me salivate) and I want to try an Irish red recipe I've been playing with. Only problem. All my bottles are filled and we don't drink fast enough!

So I actually just used an AHS Oatmeal Stout mini-mash kit and then added the pumpkin/spice. I will leave out their part of the recipe-but can substitute your favorite stout recipe-I figured oatmeal would add good mouthfeel.

I baked 29oz of canned 100% pumpkin under the broiler along with 1tsp pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves) for 45 min until nicely caramelized. Then added to the mini mash for about an hour at 150-155 F. Sparged with more water than normal-the pumpkin/grain mix seemed to really soak in the water and didnt drain from the bag well, so wanted to make sure I extracted as much as I could.

60min boil with 1oz nugget, also added 1tsp cinnamon at 60, had read that cinnamon imparts some bitterness. 1tsp pumpkin spice 15min, 3tsp at 3minutes. Will let you know how this spice schedule worked, it was kind of a guessing game-didn't want to over spice, but also knew that it being a stout would need a decent amount to still have flavor. Tried to use multiple small additions to get both bitterness, flavor, and aroma from the spices.

Yeast-wlp004 Irish ale...buuuuut I had top cropped it from an Irish red, didn't think I got enough krausen/yeast so added an emergency us-05 packet at 30hrs.

OG 1.055, Just took a gravity reading- down to 1.014 after about 2 weeks. Pretty strong nose on the spices, decent bitterness, spice taste is there but not crazy. As far as a gravity sample pretty decent-always hard to tell at 2 weeks, warm and without carbonation. I like where its heading, will let you know the end results.

If you can veer off the hoppy path a bit, do an English mild. Great fall drinking there. And fun to brew especially for extract

You've got time for an Oktoberfest if you use WLP830. Mine went brew to glass in 10 weeks as this yeast cleans up quickly when lagering from my recent experience. Pitch BIG starter with good oxygenation and you'll have plenty of time for fall consumption.

Beyond the Oktoberfest, anything Imperial will need some aging, so I'm thinking a Dry Irish Stout or brown ale would be a good call. You also have time for an Altbier, which is on my list as well and would be ready in time.

Back