Pepper question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevesauer

Reaction score
I brewed a mango habanero IPA. Turned out delicious. For the peppers, I cut 10 into strips, placed them In a paint bag and let them steep for 4 days. The heat was pronounced each time I sampled. However, upon kegging the heat seems to have faded significantly. Why? From brew day to keg was only 7 weeks. About 4 after introduction of peppers. Does the heat fade that quickly? I didn't fine with gelatin or anything, just cold crash and rack to keg. Just looking to understand for next time. Wondering if I'll need to overshoot to compensate for fading. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Here's my guess...

The heat in peppers comes from capsaicin. Capsaicin, like oil, is hydrophobic and thus would rather float on your beer than dissolve into the mixture. So I tend to think that your tasting samples that came primarily from the top would have more capsaicin than the samples from the bottom where the the keg draws from and spiciness would tend to be less. I could be wrong, it's happened once before.

I brewed a mango habanero IPA.!
:off:

Mangos and orange habs go great together.
Even though i dislike most IPA`s i could imagine this playing well with some fruity hop late additions. Maybe some poblanos and some mesquite wood chips in the secondary.......i kinda want a taco now....
:ban:

Here's my guess...

The heat in peppers comes from capsaicin. Capsaicin, like oil, is hydrophobic and thus would rather float on your beer than dissolve into the mixture. So I tend to think that your tasting samples that came primarily from the top would have more capsaicin than the samples from the bottom where the the keg draws from and spiciness would tend to be less. I could be wrong, it's happened once before.

That answer makes perfect sense! That being said, how would I obtain more even distribution of the capsaicin? I suppose I could weight the bag and when I get the desired level of heat, rack to a tertiary fermenter?

That answer makes perfect sense! That being said, how would I obtain more even distribution of the capsaicin? I suppose I could weight the bag and when I get the desired level of heat, rack to a tertiary fermenter?

I thought about that a lot, actually. What I keep going back to is either an extract or crystal form. Available through a lot of health food suppliers as a nutritional supplement....they should/might dissolve easier. Another option is to bottle instead of keg this type of beer.

albiet an inconvienience....perhaps shake the pizz outta the keg before pouring each pint to mix it up.

Back