Pellicle forming after 11 months, rack as planned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcook

Reaction score
My first sour:
I brewed the following recipe on 3/31/16:
3# Wheat DME
3# Light DME
4 oz. Maltodextrine
1/2 oz. Whole Saaz (60)
WLP 530 Abbey Ale
Pitched Wyeast 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend during high krausen. At 6 months, I was happy with souring flavor. Added dregs from (2) Jolly Pumpkin beers. I was planning to rack at 12 months. It appears a pellicle is now starting to form. Is it normal to form after 11 months? There is headspace in the carboy. Should I rack as planned onto fruit or be patient & let the beer sit for another 6 months?

I've had a few late-forming pellicles happen before. They usually start forming shortly after I take a sample or add some dregs; I'm sure that opening the carboy has something to do with it. So, I'd guess this might be normal and you could proceed as you had planed. Although, in my experience, extra time for sour brewing is not a bad thing.

I will grab a sample in a few weeks, at the 12 month mark as planned and report back.

I think its best to let the taste guide you. Pull a decent sample, put it in a snifter, sit down and relax and think about it for a while. I try to think about what the fruit components will bring to the beer? Is it OK like it is? What was I originally looking for and now that I'm tasting it perhaps I should go in a different direction?

I wouldn't let the pellicle prevent me racking or packaging the beer. As long as your gravity is stable over a long period and the taste is good, proceed as planned.

The oxygen introduced during sampling or adding dregs will cause a pellicle to form.

Back