Pelicle on starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ me too. that sucks, I feel for ya. Better to find out now than after you did all the real work.

^Better to find out now than after you did all the real work.

Exactly my thought. I'll just have to pitch some S-23 instead. Might save a gallon and pitch part of that starter to see what happens. This was wyeast 2007 from a previous batch that I attempted to revive. That batch turned out fine. I'm thinking the bugs took hold in the flask cause I just have foil on the top. I probably swirled it too late into fermentation introducing O2 that helped to bugs take hold. I am far from an expert on all things sour though.

Add Lemon juice , approx 15% of your starter voluume for a few hours . It might kill off some of the bugs

They don't fare well in a pH below 2.2 most commercial Brewers acid wash to this level when the the yeast becomes buggy. it's not an ideal but it will help no longer than 2 hours tho

I wouldn't bother trying to save it. This is one of the reasons why it is wise to keep extra packs of dry yeast on hand.

Back