Peeking in my bucket....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratnerstar

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm two weeks into fermentation on my first brew. The anticipating is killing me. So much so that ... once or twice ... well, maybe three or four times ... I carefully lifted off the lid of my bucket to take a look inside. I know this is non-Kosher, but how bad of a practice is it?

I'm asking because, if it's really bad, I'm gonna have to get a class carboy. Honestly, the temptation is just too great.

Thanks for all the help!

I would stop doing it if I were you. The layer of CO2 is protecting the beer but if you keep doing it you are asking for trouble.

I know it's hard in the begining start planing your next brew. A pipeline is the best thing to keep you patient

Don't do it too much and it's just fine. I usually just pull out the airlock stopper and peek in the little hole. Lets me see what's going on, but keeps exposure to a minimum.

you could just go from the boil straight to the carboy instead of the plastic bucket and get to see whats going on.

You are poking a wild animal with a stick. Sure at first its fun and games, but when it bites back and you get all bloody and crying it ain't so funny. Its your first brew, enjoy.

lol why are you doing it? To see if bubbles are rising to the top? That's not that exciting man.

Totally agree with others who said there's only downsides to this practice.

You want to minimize exposure to oxygen. And anything that could get in there and infect your batch.

I sympathize with you though. Just buy a glass carboy, toss a t-shirt over it to protect it from light, and take a look whenever you want to. You can even see more that way--you get a lot of swirl and bubbles depending on how rowdy your fermentation is.

I sympathize with you though. Just buy a glass carboy, toss a t-shirt over it to protect it from light, and take a look whenever you want to. You can even see more that way--you get a lot of swirl and bubbles depending on how rowdy your fermentation is.

I think this is the winning solution. Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Back