Pediococcus starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Common763

Reaction score
Making a kriek...first time. Was told to put periococcus in wine bottle w dry malt extract...seal at room temp seven days....fridge seven days...am I supposed to see activity? After three days of nothing called store. They gave me an expired one and said give it a shot. I added it and the yeast mixture changed from gold to brown. Still not seeing anything but it sounds like maybe there is little to no activity w pediococcus. The bottom is milky/syrupy...Is there activity? If not should I still use my mix or just pitch a new one straight into fermenter? Any info much appreciated

Making a kriek...first time. Was told to put periococcus in wine bottle w dry malt extract...seal at room temp seven days....fridge seven days...am I supposed to see activity? After three days of nothing called store. They gave me an expired one and said give it a shot. I added it and the yeast mixture changed from gold to brown. Still not seeing anything but it sounds like maybe there is little to no activity w pediococcus. The bottom is milky/syrupy...Is there activity? If not should I still use my mix or just pitch a new one straight into fermenter? Any info much appreciated

So you made a starter? Or did you just dump the pediococcus on some dry malt extract ( I hope not...). Pediococcus does not produce any gas when it grows so it will not look like a yeast starter. If the starter becomes viscous or "syrupy" as you mentioned, that is a good sign of activity. Pediococcus produces a polysacharide that make beer go gooey.

So it sounds like its growing and you are good to pitch it.

Thx for reply. I made a starter. OK... So I shouldn't see bubbles as norm? Also... I am reading all over the place about starters and oxygen... Isnt the airlock preventing oxygen flow?

Are you going to be using Brettanomyces in combination with the pedio? Pedio throws off a ton of diacetyl that you need the Brett to clean up.

I've tried to grow pure Pedio a couple times from a couple labs with no luck. I'd just pitch it directly into the beer and let the Brett produce the low-oxygen environment it needs to thrive.

Originally I had wyeast lambic in it... Nothing happened. My place didn't have another one so they gave me white labs belgian sour mix 1. That has Brett and pediococcus and something else in it... I plan to pitch the pediococcus after fourteen days per recipe... So it sounds as if the Brett will do its thing I guess... Unless someone has an opinion.

Back