Pectin enzyme and fruit beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is pectin enzyme, and what does it do?

I am going to add strawbeerries to a recent batch but I don't know what this pectin enzyme stuff is.

Is it the Certo crap you get at the grocery store for canning fruit?

ORRELSE said:
What is pectin enzyme, and what does it do?

I am going to add strawbeerries to a recent batch but I don't know what this pectin enzyme stuff is.

Is it the Certo crap you get at the grocery store for canning fruit?

It it pectin enzyme, or pectiC enzyme? I've never heard of the former, but I have heard of the latter. From the website of the HBS I go to:

Also included with this recipe is a packet of pectic enzyme, which is necessary to remove the haze caused by real fruit."

HTH

:D
bikebryan said:
It it pectin enzyme, or pectiC enzyme? I've never heard of the former, but I have heard of the latter. From the website of the HBS I go to:

Also included with this recipe is a packet of pectic enzyme, which is necessary to remove the haze caused by real fruit."

HTH

I believe you are right. Its pectic enzyme.

I read some links about it (from a trusty source on this board--ahem, Sam75!) and I came to the conclusion that the only drawback to NOT using this pectic enzyme is a hazy or cloudy beer. Big whoop.

So, I'm just adding a strawberry puree to secondary. Haze, schmaze. Cloud schmoud. Hopefully it tastes like a strawberry infused beer. :D

Back