Pectin Enzyme and Amylase, What's the best method of use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik the Awful

Reaction score
I've had problems in the past getting my wines to clarify, so I recently bought some pectin. I don't have amylase yet, but plan on buying some in the near future. I'm wondering on best practices for using pectin and amylase.

The recommendation I saw was to toss in one crushed campden tablet per gallon when you start your wine, wait 24 hours and toss in 1/2 tsp of pectin per gallon, then wait 4 hours and pitch the yeast.

Does this sound right? If not, what do you recommend?
Would you use amylase if you're already using pectin?
When would you add amylase?
Can you add pectin and amylase at the same time?

I hope you bought pectinase and not pectin. Pectinase is a collection of enzymes that breaks down pectin.
Add it 12 hours before pitching, as you described.
You do not need amylase.

Be aware that pectinase increases methanol concentration, increases sulfite binding, and that it's not needed for good clarity.

Cheers

I do Camden + 12 hours + Pectic Enzyme + 12 hour + yeast.

The amount of Pectic Enzyme varies from fruit to fruit as levels of pectin vary.

I have only used Amylase once when making a sweet potato wine (which failed for a number of reasons). That is used for reducing starch haze vs PE for reducing pectin (or pectic haze).

In both cases, use before adding the yeast for best results but it can be used after fermentation if a haze problem exists. Jut know they work less after fermentation.

Early PE also has the benefit of releasing more of the fruit's juice as it breaks down the pectin that holds the fruit fibers together. I have heard (and can attest to) that its difficult to overdo adding PE.

Just stumbled on this interesting read of various enzymes in winemaking: https://www.piwine.com/media/home-wine-making-basics/using-pectic-enzymes.pdf

Also just stumbled on this thread on timing rationale: Pectic enzyme, why weight 12 hours???

So... I was going to do the campden tablets, 12 hours, pectic enzyme, 12 hours, yeast, but my daughter's car broke down and I had to troubleshoot it. I ended up starting my wine late, which led to only 6 hours of sleep, rushed to work and then to a birthday party, which resulted in adding the pectic enzyme 22 hours later. The instructions on the side of the bag (hey, maybe I should have read those before!) say to add an hour before the yeast, so I waited an hour and pitched the yeast a few minutes ago (23 hours after the campden - just a bit early) so I can get to bed and rush to work again tomorrow morning. I'll report back if it evolves into a sentient creature or anything else weird.

So... I was going to do the campden tablets, 12 hours, pectic enzyme, 12 hours, yeast, but my daughter's car broke down and I had to troubleshoot it. I ended up starting my wine late, which led to only 6 hours of sleep, rushed to work and then to a birthday party, which resulted in adding the pectic enzyme 22 hours later. The instructions on the side of the bag (hey, maybe I should have read those before!) say to add an hour before the yeast, so I waited an hour and pitched the yeast a few minutes ago (23 hours after the campden - just a bit early) so I can get to bed and rush to work again tomorrow morning. I'll report back if it evolves into a sentient creature or anything else weird.
How did it turn out?

Apologies that I didn't update. It worked great. My method for the last couple years is to add the campden tablets at the zero hour, add the pectic enzyme at the 20th hour, and then add the yeast (typically Lalvin EC-1118) at the 24th hour. At the racking to secondary, add bentonite. At the final racking, add sparkolloid. Ever since my wines have been crystal clear.

20220510_150927.resized.jpg

I do Camden + 12 hours + Pectic Enzyme + 12 hour + yeast.

The amount of Pectic Enzyme varies from fruit to fruit as levels of pectin vary.

I have only used Amylase once when making a sweet potato wine (which failed for a number of reasons). That is used for reducing starch haze vs PE for reducing pectin (or pectic haze).

In both cases, use before adding the yeast for best results but it can be used after fermentation if a haze problem exists. Jut know they work less after fermentation.

Early PE also has the benefit of releasing more of the fruit's juice as it breaks down the pectin that holds the fruit fibers together. I have heard (and can attest to) that its difficult to overdo adding PE.

Just stumbled on this interesting read of various enzymes in winemaking: https://www.piwine.com/media/home-wine-making-basics/using-pectic-enzymes.pdf

Also just stumbled on this thread on timing rationale: Pectic enzyme, why weight 12 hours???
I've wondered if the recommendation to wait 12hrs before adding pectolase is a temperature issue. A lot of recipes involve dissolving sugar in boiled water and pouring over fruit etc. If you add the pectolase to the must that's over 40C straight away, the hot temperature might adversely affect the pectolase's enzymotic action, so the wait for 12hrs recommendation is to allow the must to cool so its closer to room temperature 20-25C.

Back