Pectic Enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Anyone use double the amount of P.E when making fruit wine? I know the residual of methanol but at double and coupled with no more than a 1/2 bottle to my head on a heavy night I've nothing to fear. Just curious about the results of viscosity and so forth?

The Pears I used are hard, even after a freeze and thaw twice. Took a masher to em and they are still pretty hard. They are the cooking pears. You know hard, great for pies, etc.

Thought to add double the amount of P.E like 6 tsp total to a 3 gallon batch.... The Figs are annihilated. Fig Pear wine.

I was talking with some folks recently and they said not to fear over-dosing with PE...especially with fruits and especially with peaches, pears, apples, and other really fibrous fruits....3x the normal dose which is normally 1/2tsp...so 1.5tsp per gallon.

Also, if your adding water, hold off on it. Add the amount of enzyme needed for the total batch volume directly to the juice/fruit and let it sit for a day or so before adding water. If your using sulfites to clean your fruit, let that work for 12-24 hours before adding enzyme.

Good idea on waiting to add the water. I heard a variation about waiting to add the PE, though. It is to go ahead and throw it in the must. Once the K-meta has dissipated to a point that the PE can start working it is already there. Supposedly the sulfites just delay the PE from starting to work but does it no harm. Just sharing what I've heard. :)

Where were you yesterday? LOL next time on the back fill of H20. I ended up adding 1/3 more PE. Thanks for the info

Where were you yesterday? LOL next time on the back fill of H20. I ended up adding 1/3 more PE. Thanks for the info
@Seamonkey84
Sorry to wake an old thread, but I've got a question tangent off of it.

I'm trying to figure out if I've missed my chance and wasted ~10# of fruit.
About 36hrs ago, in a mesh bag, I chopped and dumped about 10# of frozen (mainly) apples in a 5gal bucket with 2gal of filtered water and a lil extra PE that called for.

At an ambient temp. of 70°F, how bad am I risking spoilage, by not already pitching by now? No Spgr taken and no sugar added yet. I plan on using 2.5 gram of 71B pretty soon on it.

Back