Pear wine little short of pears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofynewfie

Reaction score
After finding out the farm at work has a bunch of pear trees loaded with fruit that goes to waste every year a bunch of us decided to do something about it last night. I got home with the plans of making a wine and after I get everything cut up and in primary I realize I am about three quarters of a pound short. is there any reason why I cannot add more on Monday when I get back from work? or would I be better off putting in some apples that we grabbed as well?
this is a one gallon batch and has about 2.5 pounds of pears in it right now. all the fruit is cut up and soaking in primary with pectic enzyme and covered with hot water. the plan was to let it sit like that for a few days to extract juice

I guess I should add this is the recipe is am using
Approx 3.5lbs pears cut into cubes
0.5 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to 1g
Sugar to bring gravity to approx 1.090
Lavlin k1v-1116

Cut pears into cubes and add pectic enzyme, cover with 2quarts boiling water and cover primary looselyMash every few hours. after five days strain into secondary add water to 1g and sugar to 1.090. Add yeast and ferment

Just winging it so any suggestions would be appreciated

Hummm. That's pretty light on the fruit. I usually shoot for 6# or so, but that's just me. If you have some raisins, or grapes, I'd toss those in. Something for body anyway. Maybe some apples?

I pressed a TON of pears and got 6 gallons of juice. I didn't do anything but add yeast to the juice. It was disgusting at 9mo, but now that its been over a year (and I added a little acid to it) it's much better.

The issue is its SOOOOO light in flavor. It's very delicate and floral. I'm actually looking for pear concentrate to back sweeten it a bit and to add the pear flavor back.

But as far as adding the fruit later, I see zero problems. Just make sure the fruit is sanitary before adding.

I racked it of the fruit and ended up with about 3/4 gallon so I topped up with rw knudsen black cherry juice and put an airlock on. not really sure of a name for this one

I racked it of the fruit and ended up with about 3/4 gallon so I topped up with rw knudsen black cherry juice and put an airlock on. not really sure of a name for this one
Fruit salad?

I am using 6 lbs. of pears per gallon. I also add some chopped golden raisins to add flavor and body.

Back