Pear Cider Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cancider

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So today, I racked my pear cider off its Lees. I was an idiot and racked it from a 6 gallon to another 6 gallon. This left quite a bit of space at the top of the carboy. So I don't want to leave this much air at the top while it ages for the next 5-6 months before carbonating.

So..... I added fresh pear juice to too it up. Pretty much 1/2 gallon. I'm worried I've completely ruined the process of the cider. One was Dry, the second semi-sweet. Now I'm thinking they both will turn out very sweet once aged because the pure fresh pasteurized pear juice will crank up the sweet.

Any thoughts or ideas of what may happen? Or may have have overly sweet alcoholic cider?

Thanks so much for any ideas.

I'll be starting another 18 gallons tomorrow to correct from this mistake.

I always top off my headspace after racking with fresh juice. You will be fine. It will ferment out

Pasteurized juice is 100% fermentable. It's just somewhat more sterile than unpasteurized juice. If you expose it to yeast it will ferment. Same with sorbated juice, it just takes more yeast.

That's great! Thanks for the help gang �� I'll just leave it as is and hopefully it'll ferment out in 5 -6 months .

Hi Cancider - and welcome. You added a half gallon of juice? That should ferment out in 5 or 6 days.. Aging takes months, not usually the fermentation.

remember, head-space doesn't have to be a bad thing. Head-space of oxygen yes, co2 no.... do you keg? if so you can always put a co2 blanket on it if you dont want to add juice.

Back