Peanut butter powder in stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Bullock

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you guys that have made a peanut butter stout had issues with it all just sitting at the bottom? Worried that the flavor isn’t going to be there if I don’t stir it up or something.. ideas?

Have any of you guys that have made a peanut butter stout had issues with it all just sitting at the bottom? Worried that the flavor isn’t going to be there if I don’t stir it up or something.. ideas?
I personally like using real peanut butter per the thread linked above. I think a combination of real pb and pb powder gets you the best flavor. It takes a bit for the flavor to diffuse into the beer. I have found 4 weeks on pb to be the minimum to get decent flavor for my tastes.

I do know of a guy who bought a diaphragm pump and recirculated one of his stouts on peanuts and in 2 weeks he said the flavor was potent.

I personally like using real peanut butter per the thread linked above. I think a combination of real pb and pb powder gets you the best flavor. It takes a bit for the flavor to diffuse into the beer. I have found 4 weeks on pb to be the minimum to get decent flavor for my tastes.

I do know of a guy who bought a diaphragm pump and recirculated one of his stouts on peanuts and in 2 weeks he said the flavor was potent.
I've done a couple spins on the carboy and it seems to be breaking up a bit. I fully expected that it would take a few weeks. I think I'll just let it sit for a month or so before bottling/kegging it and see what I end up with! Thanks for the advice, it's truly appreciated!

Thanks for sharing. I will probably try that in the future if I decide to make another one. I've already added PB2 right now though, just trying to make sure that I get the flavor I'm looking for.
I'm anxious to know how it turns out. I plan on using PB2 as well. When did you add your PB2?

Andy, other posts seem to concur with 4 weeks being the optimum amount of time to extract maximum flavor. I generally don't secondary my ales, but I will when I do use PB.

I did
I'm anxious to know how it turns out. I plan on using PB2 as well. When did you add your PB2?
4 weeks in primary around 70 degrees, then dumped my PB2 and cocao nibs in before racking to secondary (I know people don't think secondary is a good idea but I only have 2 carboys and needed one freed up). I also think I should have racked and then put the PB2 in... it's like a paste on the bottom now and I think if it would have been dumped on top of liquid it might have broken apart better.. maybe not, who knows.

Four weeks seems like a long time in primary except maybe for bigger, slower fermenting brews. I leave my Saisons in primary for 3 weeks, without secondary. I usually only use a secondary for beers lagers, big beers or beers. that I want to keep in the fermentor more than 2-3 weeks.

Four weeks seems like a long time in primary except maybe for bigger, slower fermenting brews. I leave my Saisons in primary for 3 weeks, without secondary. I usually only use a secondary for beers lagers, big beers or beers. that I want to keep in the fermentor more than 2-3 weeks.
The only reason it sat in primary that long is because secondary was fermenting as a primary (small batch wing job on apple cinnamon cider) I've been told that stouts only get better the longer they sit so I wasn't in a hurry until I had something else I wanted to brew. I'm on the horizon of getting another carboy and building a keezer - pending xmas presents from my wife. I'm not sure why this isn't her favorite hobby of mine....

Some people say they pick up some undesirable flavor from beer sitting on the yeast that long. Personally, I think that would apply to lighter beers, pale lagers, etc. For most ales and maybe darker lagers, it probably isn't as much of an issue.

Some people say they pick up some undesirable flavor from beer sitting on the yeast that long. Personally, I think that would apply to lighter beers, pale lagers, etc. For most ales and maybe darker lagers, it probably isn't as much of an issue.
I tasted it and tested gravity when I racked it and it was decent - tasted like a strong guiness or coffee beer as I like to think of it. I think with the nibs and peanut butter I'll end up with a home run (assuming the PB2 breaks down like I hope it does)

I did

4 weeks in primary around 70 degrees, then dumped my PB2 and cocao nibs in before racking to secondary (I know people don't think secondary is a good idea but I only have 2 carboys and needed one freed up). I also think I should have racked and then put the PB2 in... it's like a paste on the bottom now and I think if it would have been dumped on top of liquid it might have broken apart better.. maybe not, who knows.
I think what you did is fine. I would not transfer the beer and dump the pb2 in. That would cause unnecessary splashing and its going to all settle on the bottom anyway.

I tasted it and tested gravity when I racked it and it was decent - tasted like a strong guiness or coffee beer as I like to think of it. I think with the nibs and peanut butter I'll end up with a home run (assuming the PB2 breaks down like I hope it does)
Sounds delicious man! Be sure to post up a picture when it's done!

I think what you did is fine. I would not transfer the beer and dump the pb2 in. That would cause unnecessary splashing and its going to all settle on the bottom anyway.
That's kind of what I thought and just funneled it in and whirlpooled the beer around it. I think it's going to turn out fine if I let it sit on the PB2 long enough.

Andy, I'm sure your beer will turn out great. I didn't mean to cast a discerning view on your method. I'll probably do mine the same way, unless I can devise a low or no oxygen transfer. But for my meager setup, that seems way to complicated for me.

A friend of mine went on a PB2 Stout kick a few years ago. He tried using vodka to make a peanut butter tincture, adding PB2 to primary and secondary, and just adding a spoon of PB2 to the glass when he poured.

I remember the PB2 in the glass packing a flavor punch, but the 'texture' was unpleasant. The others were all good and I was happy to be his guinea pig. I'll ask him what he thinks was the best method though. He is a religious note-taker, which usually works better than my swiss-cheese memory.

Andy, I'm sure your beer will turn out great. I didn't mean to cast a discerning view on your method. I'll probably do mine the same way, unless I can devise a low or no oxygen transfer. But for my meager setup, that seems way to complicated for me.
Nothing discerning at all, I appreciate the feedback. I didn't take your advice in a bad way at all, I'm still trying to soak up knowledge wherever I can.

A friend of mine went on a PB2 Stout kick a few years ago. He tried using vodka to make a peanut butter tincture, adding PB2 to primary and secondary, and just adding a spoon of PB2 to the glass when he poured.

I remember the PB2 in the glass packing a flavor punch, but the 'texture' was unpleasant. The others were all good and I was happy to be his guinea pig. I'll ask him what he thinks was the best method though. He is a religious note-taker, which usually works better than my swiss-cheese memory.
I think I know why you have the swiss cheese memory - vodka - It always does that to me too... But yes, ask him how he does his PB if he gets good taste out of it! I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Back