Peanut butter blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
I bottled my dunkelweizen last night. As I was transferring the beer from the carboy to the bottling bucket, a whopping aroma of peanut butter filled the kitchen. Not buttered popcorn. Peanut butter cookies and Reese’s. My last bottle I filled only filled about halfway, so I drank it. It had no flavor and was very watery. You would think it would at least taste somewhat like beer or the ingredients I put into it, right? Any ideas?
Recipe:
6lb wheat
3lb Munich
3lb Vienna
8 oz special b
4 oz pale chocolate
4 oz crystal 40
1.50 oz Tettnang
Measured OG was 1.062. Imperial yeast Stefon (2 packs no starter) each pack is 200 billion cells. (Maybe over pitched???)
Fermented at 66*F for two weeks. Lots of sulfur the first three days. After 2 weeks, raised it up to 70* for 10 days. Bottled. Is it my recipe, pitch rate, or sanitation? Anybody want German peanut butter beer?

I've heard of contamination causing peanut flavor.
If it is APY (2-acetyl pyrroline) causing the flavor, it may age out.

At one local brewery a lot of their beers taste like peanuts. I think they have a long-standing contamination.

Back