Peach Wine; remove skin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Do you remove the skins before creating must? What role does the skin play if leaving on? I ask because if I can remove (since they were sprayed "not organic") I prefer to remove the skin.

I’ve read you should remove the skin and pits. To remove the skin, blanch them quickly, then dunk in cold water, like with a tomato. Then cut to remove pit, and then preferably freeze them solid. Once thawed, they will be mushy and release the juices easier.

The peach pits contain upwards of 88mg of cyanide per 100g of seeds. Not sure how much could be extracted with the fermentation but probably not worth the risk. Also the pits can add a bitter, astringent taste to the wine.

I would also remove the skins for concern of extracting tannin, pectin and unwanted flavors.

I just started this years batch of peach wine. AQ 1G batch with 7 1/2 lb. peaches, 1lb honey and 1 lb dememera sugar. I gave them a dilute bleach bath, then rinsed, depitted and sliced. Did not remove the skins. After slicing I froze them for 4-5 days before starting the batch.

I am going with 5lbs of Peaches and 1lb of bananas. 1 gal batch.
Remove skins and pits.
Freezing right now to help masticate the pulp.
I have grape vines in the B.Y if I need some tannin's, might just add a couple leafs for the first couple of days. I also have powder tannin, if near bottling it needs more.

I just started this years batch of peach wine. AQ 1G batch with 7 1/2 lb. peaches, 1lb honey and 1 lb dememera sugar. I gave them a dilute bleach bath, then rinsed, depitted and sliced. Did not remove the skins. After slicing I froze them for 4-5 days before starting the batch.
Removed the peach remainders today, 6 days after starting. OG was 1.120. SG today is 1.000. Going to let it sit in the bucket for another week before 1st racking to a 1G jug. Figure I will age it in there for 3-4 months before bottling, reracking when needed.

I have some Grape Wine about a month now sitting and was thinking should I re-rack or rack it right to a bottle? It has minimal sediment at the bottom the first pass...? I use a fine mesh bag with the pulp when it sets in the bucket the first 3-4 days before pitching.

I was also thinking to transfer it to a jug, fridge it (cold crash) and bottle from there. I am not keen on using Campden (sulfites) for these racks. I figure Star San and the fridge should be good until ready to bottle and leave stand for 6 months or so...Thoughts?

The reason for Camden at racking (and bottling) is to scavenge oxygen, not for sanitation purposes. Oxygen is inevitable, metabisulfite chemically ties it up. And oxygenated wine is a bad problem.
So it's sitting now in a bucket or carboy and you haven't racked it yet? Rack it to the jug onto 1 camden tab per gallon. Let it sit for a month and you'll see more lees form on the bottom. I usually need 2-3 rackings over a 3-4 month period to get a perfectly clear wine. Cold crashing and letting sit in the fridge will help speed up that process, but you'll still need a month or more. Otherwise, the lees will settle in your bottle and/or you'll have a cloudy product.

Sulfite does help control microbial spoilage.

LUHAD-Buffalo-Bill-and-Precious.jpg

Definitely remove the skin.

The reason for Camden at racking (and bottling) is to scavenge oxygen, not for sanitation purposes. Oxygen is inevitable, metabisulfite chemically ties it up. And oxygenated wine is a bad problem.
So it's sitting now in a bucket or carboy and you haven't racked it yet? Rack it to the jug onto 1 camden tab per gallon. Let it sit for a month and you'll see more lees form on the bottom. I usually need 2-3 rackings over a 3-4 month period to get a perfectly clear wine. Cold crashing and letting sit in the fridge will help speed up that process, but you'll still need a month or more. Otherwise, the lees will settle in your bottle and/or you'll have a cloudy product.
Thanks for the deets on that. The wine is in a primary for a month now with Camden So6 or whatever it is. I was getting ready to move to secondary to rid the smidge of lees that is at the bottom. This was the move to a 1 gal apple cider glass jug, figuring I could just cap it and fridge it as I doubt there is any co2 kicking in there to bust the bottle. Cold crash for the month and rack to bottles. Just do not want the So6 if I do not need it, but now that I know it ties up o2... Thoughts on skipping this months so6 and wait till bottling?

Commercially grown peaches are frequently sprayed with copper to prevent disease, which can add a copper/metallic taste to your wine or beer if you don't remove the skins. (And they can still be certified as organic.)

Of course if you grow your own and don't spray them, then this particular issue isn't a concern.

Commercially grown peaches are frequently sprayed with copper to prevent disease, which can add a copper/metallic taste to your wine or beer if you don't remove the skins. (And they can still be certified as organic.)

Of course if you grow your own and don't spray them, then this particular issue isn't a concern.
Maybe next year my fruit trees should be old enough to start delivering.

Back