Peach cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nothingfun

Reaction score
Not sure if it's really a cider or a wine, but since I followed the same overall recipe for cider I'm posting it here.
Still a newbie to all this so bear with me.
I used red star champagne yeast, pureed about 15 pounds peaches, removed all the stones of course and threw in 3 sliced up lemons as well. Filled in the rest with water as it was pretty thick and pulpy to about 5 gallons and added about 8 pounds sugar. Tossed in my crushed campden tablets and let sit for a little more than 24 hours then pitched my yeast at about 65 degrees, within 6 hours it was bubbling right along. About 30 days in the ferment slowed down considerably and I racked into my secondary. At this point it had a fantastic sweet flavor, very peachy and sparkling. At about 60 days racked again and decided it was right where we wanted it and bottled. It finished up pretty potent, unfortunately not sure of content as I don't have a hydrometer yet(still). Flavor is very peachy with a bit of bite and pretty sweet still, no longer sparkling, pretty still in fact. Overall very tasty stuff. We ended up bottling about 3 gallons before we ran out of bottles (oops), so we have a 1 gallon jug kinda hanging out in the fridge for "sampling". Overall pretty pleased with the results :)
If anyone has any suggestions, other than finally buying a hydrometer :p, feel free I'd love to learn more and improve on it. Gonna try some more apple cider soon as i' m seeing lots of it on sale locally!

My one question would be did fermentation come to a complete halt before you bottled? If not, you could be in for some bottle bombs....

Yeah, totally. Nothing was going on by the end of the 60 days, plus I followed the stove top pasteurizing sticky on here just to be safe. What I've read and have been told is that champagne yeast can be pretty aggressive, I'm wary of things popping in my closet.

Latest posts

Back