Peach Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer83

Reaction score
My buddy has donated peaches that grew in his front yard. So we are making a peach blonde.

All Grain 11g
25# American 2 row
2# crystal 15L
1# munich 10L

2 oz centennial 60 min
.5 oz centennial 15 min
.5 oz cascade 15 min
.5 oz centennial 0 min
.5 oz cascade 0 min

Og 1.064
Fg 1.011
ABV 7%

After primary fermentation will be adding 12# of chopped peaches.

I have a Speidel 15.9 gal fermenter so I am not worried about overloading it.

I am brewing friday so any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Do you think the grapefruit from the cascade centenial will mesh well with the peaches? Maybe, I cant picture it in my head. Id lean towards more complementry fruity hops like el dorado or summer, or maybe something floral like pallisade. Though its a pretty trivial amount of hops, so It probably doesnt matter. I assume you are just using cal ale or something else neutral?

Yes cal ale. Good idea with the fruit hops. Looks like I need to make a trip to the homebrew shop . Thank you.

Do you think the grapefruit from the cascade centenial will mesh well with the peaches? Maybe, I cant picture it in my head. Id lean towards more complementry fruity hops like el dorado or summer, or maybe something floral like pallisade. Though its a pretty trivial amount of hops, so It probably doesnt matter. I assume you are just using cal ale or something else neutral?

I agree! OP you should check out this hop wheel from Hop Union, some of the fruity ones might be awesome!

https://www.hopunion.com/aroma-wheel/

Check the sugar level on a few peaches if you have a refractometer and adjust your beer gravity accordingly. If peaches are lower sugar than your planned OG, you may want to bump the OG up to compensate a bit for the dilution which will then happen with the fruit.

I did a similar recipe once with nectarines (basically the same as peaches) for my girlfriend but used a neutral hop for bittering and 4oz of galaxy at flameout. Galaxy works very well to complement the flavor of the fruit. Just my $.02 but I would do something similar if I were you. I think the citrusy hops you chose might undercut the flavor of the fruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did the brew last Friday and it turned out great. Hit my numbers. I decided to get galaxy hops. They had a hint of peach smell to them. Really glad you guys gave me that suggestion.

So currently fermenting. I am planning on defrosting the peaches in a fridge in a couple days and adding them when we get to FG. What is a good time frame for keeping them in the fermenter?

Just added the defrosted peaches today. The gravity was 1.012 a couple days ago. There was a strong citrus/peach flavor from the galaxy hops when I took the gravity.

Kegged last night. Gravity went up to 1.018. I'm assuming the sugars from the peaches added to the gravity because I added them after fermentation. Tasted good. A couple days ago I added gelatin and the beer was very clear racked over. I had also cold crashed for a week. Tasted pretty good.

Suspect you cold crashed before the yeast finished fermenting out the peaches. I'd worry if you were bottling, but sounds like that's not the case. I would have expected you to get back closer to 1.012. The extra sweetness might work tastily well in this one though.

Suspect you cold crashed before the yeast finished fermenting out the peaches. I'd worry if you were bottling, but sounds like that's not the case. I would have expected you to get back closer to 1.012. The extra sweetness might work testily well in this one though.

I kind of planned to not have the peaches ferment. It's already a 7% with a low amount of body due to the grain bill so hopefully you are right and the extra sugar will be nice.

Latest posts

Back