Pbw vs. Oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used pbw but oxyclean works great. Lots of people on here will say you need to get the oxyclean free (without any fragrances), but I've been using the regular oxyclean since I couldn't find any of the free stuff and haven't had any issues with it. You just have to make sure you rinse your equipment really well afterwards and know that it's only for cleaning, not sanitizing.

I use to use PBW it works. I switched to oxyclean because it is cheaper. I haven't noticed a difference between the two, except for a slightly fatter wallet. :mug:

I prefer PBW, just like i prefer Star San, i guess i am just more comfortable using something that is MADE for brewing use or Brewery Use how ever you want to put it.

I understand and respect your thought process on this one. But how much of your equipment is specifically made for brewing.

Burner?
Pots?
Ferment in buckets or stainless conical?

Homebrewing is all about finding the things made for something else and adapting them to brewing.

Back to the topic on hand. I used PBW at first then when I ran out I cringed at the price and stopped at Wally World on the way home and got some Oxyclean. Been using it ever since.

Thanks for the validation guys. I'm getting ready to order my fourth kit, just ran out of pbw thought I'd ask

If you have an aluminum pot, be careful of letting oxy sit in it for too long (the definitions of 'too long' vary on here from an hour to several days), it can oxidize the crap outa your pot.

I haven't used PBW, but Oxyclean has worked fine for me so far. It's so much cheaper, I couldn't see spending the money on PBW. Though I have heard some say that Oxyclean can leave residue if you're not careful (too concentrated or not rinsed well enough). But I haven't had this problem.

So the question I have about this is for cleaning my cardboy. Are u suppose to let the solution sit for hours or days? Or will a few minutes and a good scrubbing with the solution do it? I scrubbed and rinsed my cardboy the day I transferred to the bottling bucket with just water but I want a good solid clean before I throw in my next batch. What do you guy's suggest?

Heavenlybrew said:
So the question I have about this is for cleaning my cardboy. Are u suppose to let the solution sit for hours or days? Or will a few minutes and a good scrubbing with the solution do it? I scrubbed and rinsed my cardboy the day I transferred to the bottling bucket with just water but I want a good solid clean before I throw in my next batch. What do you guy's suggest?

I normally soak for a few days mostly because I am lazy. I fill the carboy scrub with a brush then let it soak. Then a few days later scrub again. Then transfer to another bucket or carboy if the water doesn't look too bad.

I like the PBW,since there seems to be nothing it can't soak clean as a whistle. I dump 3TBS of PBW in my fermenters,fill with tap water,& stir well. Place lid loosely on it & let it sit for 2-3 days. Most of the crud soaks itself free. Then I take my bottle brush & scrub it lightly to make sure it all came off. Let the cleaner do most of the work.
Work smarter,not harder.:mug:

oxyclean user here, I like the fact I can get it anywhere. Put it in the carboy let it soak overnight and voila, the crud is gone! Rinse, sanitize and your ready for the next batch

anybody use Oxy to soak clean beer lines for keezers? That's the only thing I've been using PBW for. PBW and Starsan. Otherwise everything else is Oxy and Iodophor. Much cheaper.

anybody use Oxy to soak clean beer lines for keezers? That's the only thing I've been using PBW for. PBW and Starsan. Otherwise everything else is Oxy and Iodophor. Much cheaper.

I have used Oxy to clean my beer lines. I usually mix up about 5 gallons with warm water in a keg. I then just hook up the keg and run about a gallon or two through my taps. Repeat with clean water. I then starsan my lines. I do this for every new beer. I also try to do this when I'm cleaning my kegs, so I can kill two birds with one stone. I also take my taps apart occasionally to give the inside a good scrub. I haven't noticed a build up of beer on any of the interior surfaces.

Back