Payday Friday 2-Beer Lunch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mischief_Brewing

Reaction score
This is quickly becoming a ritual for me. And I'm certainly not complaining!

Heading out in 45 minutes to the Blind Tiger on Bleeker (NYC) for my bi-weekly 2-beer lunch payday ritual. I'm a little more excited than usual for this for two reasons:

1. I'm bring a pint of my hop-burst pale ale (HBT contest entry) for the bartenders to taste, and

2. Wednesday started their "Barrel Aged Beer Month" promotion!

Hot damn, I can't wait to see what's on the draught list today! This very well might turn into a 3-beer lunch and make the remainder of the work day quite interesting...

Feel free to join me!

Man, I'm jealous. No good craft beer spots near my work, or else I'd start up a similar tradition.

For anybody who does actually show up, I'm the guy sporting the Johnny Cash look (black suit, black shirt, black tie)...I gotta stop letting what I listen to in the shower determine how I dress for the day...

Ended up being a 3-beer lunch and I'm sitting at my desk wishing I had refrained...

The barrel-aged selection was a little disappointing. I started with a ?? IIPA (seriously can't remember) and then followed it with a left hand imperial stout and then finished with a rather disappointing black IPA from either virginia or vermont. Damn, I should have taken notes...

Overall, A pretty decent 3-beer payday Friday lunch! Only one of the bartenders got to taste my hop-blast APA and had nothing but positive things to say about it. He ended up disappearing downstairs to sort incoming kegs and the lead bartender (Johna) was too busy to give it a taste.

This will happen all over again in 2 weeks!

Wow, I wish I could drink beer on my lunch. We have a fairly strict policy against it. At worst I take a swallow if I go home for lunch, just to see how the keg is coming along.

But I think the company would frown on me drinking beer at lunch, then being asked to help out back by driving a forklift around...

Wow, I wish I could drink beer on my lunch. We have a fairly strict policy against it. At worst I take a swallow if I go home for lunch, just to see how the keg is coming along.

But I think the company would frown on me drinking beer at lunch, then being asked to help out back by driving a forklift around...

Luckily, I have a desk job in the city government. I'm not legally drunk, so I'm not in violation of any city policies....But I wouldn't even consider doing this if I had any sort of public safety concerns...

That was one nice thing about working in business when I did, drinking wasn't so taboo and actually encouraged at times.. Working in medicine and in the operating room I don't think it's such a great idea. Nobody wants to wake up after anesthesia it have it explained to them that their surgery went poorly because the physician assistant was black out drunk and passed out on your open surgical site. At least I don't think that would be good.

Yeah, I think that if certain of our salespeople had a couple while entertaining prospective customers, everyone would look the other way. But when huge metal-cutting machines are in use, and overhead cranes carrying many tons of steel over your head, I think they prefer to err on the side of caution.

Just back from another payday Friday 2-beer lunch. Blind Tiger had a Stone event on Wednesday and had a bunch of beer still on tap from that event. Started with an 08 oaked imperial stout, then had a collaboration tripel brewed with Mikeller and Alesmith. Needless to say it's tough to focus on my projects right now....

Wish I was still working in the city. I would have joined you. We should set up an HBT city meetup at the Gingerman or some place equally as tasty. I could get in by 5 on a Friday, no hay problema!

payday Friday bump!!!

Just back from Blind Tiger where I enjoyed their classic grilled cheese along with a Smuttynose baltic porter, followed by a boulder Obovoid oak aged imperial stout.

I tried to start with a 21st amendment back in black but if kicked during the pour.

2.5 hours until I can go home and properly celebrate the start of baseball season!

Forgot to add that I brought a fliptop of my sour cherry imperial amber with me.

Once again, nothing but glowing complements from the tenders and the locals. My ego is growing exponentially! One of the comments was that he "could see this coming from any one of those taps"...

I went downstate to the MIL's house. She needs to be moving soon, so my wife helped her sort some of the massive pile of junk in the basement. I rented a trailer and loaded up my Edsel to take back home to (probably) sell.

Sat. I took my BIL to have appetizers and a tall Oberon. Then we got stuff to grill brats and a 6-pack of Oberon for later. Sunday took daughters to Western Michigan University for a flute workshop of sorts. That was actually pretty fun IMO.

I went downstate to the MIL's house. She needs to be moving soon, so my wife helped her sort some of the massive pile of junk in the basement. I rented a trailer and loaded up my Edsel to take back home to (probably) sell.

Sat. I took my BIL to have appetizers and a tall Oberon. Then we got stuff to grill brats and a 6-pack of Oberon for later. Sunday took daughters to Western Michigan University for a flute workshop of sorts. That was actually pretty fun IMO.

Your weekend definitely beat mine!

My wife's plans fell through so she instigated the spring cleaning protocol. I spent half the time helping the kids with their rooms, and the other half in the garage building some quick/cheap plywood locking storage cabinets for the converted attic/art space. The kids ignored the strict ban on playing in that area helped themselves to all of my wife's art supplies, painting a couple of dozen pictures (and the walls, and the carpet, and their clothes, etc.) Friday afternoon when we thought they were upstairs cleaning their rooms. Any hopes of having some time to work on any of my own projects or make beer completely went out the door with that.

I'm still holding out hope for next weekend though...

Kids are off this week and don't have dance after school either, so I'm hoping to get a brew in. I have American Lager yeast in the fridge just waiting.

And we are both taking Friday off so we can head down to Chicago to visit Shedd's aquarium. I might get a Friday lunch beer in after all!

My bank account hates me, but I decided that I couldn't pass up the draught list they had this week. Blind Tiger had an event on Wednesday that was basically a category 19 wet dream. Various old ales and barleywines from 2005-10. There were still quite a few on tap, and while only being served in 8oz increments, well worth the visit.

Lunch today consisted of their classic grilled cheese (i'm going for the mac'n'cheese next week) with a 2008 Arcadia Big Dick's old ale, which tasted like it was infected on the backend or it could have just been the fruitiness overpowering from the several years of hop fade. Still worth it and very drinkable. Followed that up with a 2008 Northcoast Old Stock Ale that was beyond excellence. Again it was only 8ozs, but well worth its weight in gold.

I considered staying for a 3rd (the menu board was ripe with can't lose selections) but decided not to risk my job for beer, yet.

I brought a pint of some raspberry apfelwein (10%) to share and got glowing reviews. Amazing what $25 worth of ingredients per 5 gallon batch can get you....

In case you feel like switching it up one Friday, Hop Devil Grill on St. Marks offers 15% discounts to AHA Members.

WooHoo! Payday Friday is here again!

Going to be at BT from noon until about 3 (taking the afternoon off work) and then have to run errands for tomorrow's party. Feel free to join me!

A confluence of events led to me making today a non-payday-Friday 1-beer lunch at the BT.

- Good Friday bus schedules had me rushing out the door to catch the bus this morning, causing me to not bring my lunch
- SWMBO liked the bacon and New York strip steaks I brought home last Friday so much that she told me to get them again (since the place is around the corner from BT, it was a no brainer to say yes)
- My work is moving to Long Island City on May 2 and it'll be a huge pain for me get to BT for lunch. So I need to take advantage of it whenever I can
- Next Friday we're doing a work lunch to say goodbye to our cozy downtown office so no BT

Needless to say, I've got a lot going on and really enjoyed the one beer I was able to grab today. I ended up with a Brooklyn Manhattan Project (oaked rye) and it was good, but I probably should have started with something else.

I ran to the corner deli for lunch and the long line prevented me from stopping at the parts store for a new muffler and transmission filter for the wife's Durango.

But I'm currently enjoying a Pepsi Brewing Company's 12 ounce "Diet Mountain Dew". It's a lighter version of their flagship. It's infused with Acesulfame Potassium and Sucralose. Looks like it has an SRM of 5. (They claim it's Yellow 5).

What, no beer lunch today??

FWIW, I had pizza that a customer brought in to congratulate our guys for the work they did. Busy night, so unfortunately, I'll have to wait until after dinner to get my beer fill.

Unfortunately no. Today's our last day in the downtown office. I report to the new office in Long Island City on Monday morning. Since it was our last day, we went out to Mudville9 together. I would have had a beer there but the draft menu was lacking and my new boss was sitting right next to me.

I'll miss the lunch 2 weeks from now because I'll be in California having a 2-beer lunch everyday (vacation), and will try to get back down to BT a week or two after I return, but the trip alone will take almost an hour round trip now so I need to figure how I'll manage that. Might turn into a quick 1-beer lunch or I need to drink faster?

The 7 will get you close to the Gingerman in no time flat.

Definitely intriguing, and Rattle N Hum is pretty close to there also. I've just built up such a good reputation with the tenders and locals at BT, plus, the City's best butcher is right around the corner!

I've just built up such a good reputation with the tenders and locals at BT, plus, the City's best butcher is right around the corner!

I feel for you. I still go and visit my old bartender from where I used to live. You get used to a place. Gingerman has great beers, though.

So tomorrow is the end of an era. I start a new job in New Jersey (5 miles from my house!) on the 19th of Oct and tomorrow will be my last payday Friday 2-beer lunch at the Blind Tiger.

Of course, I'll be really close to my home at the new job and, while I don't have 32 beers on tap, I definitely have some tasty treats that could be partaken upon during a lunch...but that's another story for another thread...

As of now, I plan to make tomorrow at the BT memorable for all my favorite bartenders and locals. I'm bringing a good amount of my Westvleteren 12 clone to share and will likely "forget" to go back to work...

Feel free to come have a 2-5 beer lunch with me and try out the Westy12 clone!

Oh you evil temptress! Hear me! I will not yield to your siren song! Feed no more the desire within which harkens even now, calling out to my loathsome flesh, begging to imbibe upon the morrow.

Quit, or I may not have strength enough to in me to refuse!

Ask yourself, will you sleep of angels, or demons, when night falls and eyelids draw heavy?

For tis not a great distance to o'ercome, if in spirit alone I do join you. And who can say what course I shall take when the time is nigh?

Latest posts

Back