Paulaner Wiesn Beer - clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntangus

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this beer - it comes with the 1L stein and the huge can?

It is awesome. I've been craving it ever since I drank it - so, now I want to make my own.

I've looked through all the Oktoberfest recipes and am unsure which one would produce a beer like this.

I know that it's a typical "tent" beer of Oktoberfest, but it's not like any of the other Oktoberfest beers that i've had. I've read folks saying that it's a Marzen/Helles hybrid of sorts.

Anyway, HBT - CAN I BREW IT?:ban:

Thanks for the answer, but it's definitely not a hefe.

The Wiesn is the name of the place where the Oktoberfest tents are (the Meadow) in Munich.

Here's the listing on BA, check this out: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/124/61555

My bad for assuming that you couldn't spell Weizen instead of assuming you could spell Meadow. Plus, I didn't realize Paulaner came out with a new Maerzen.

The normal maerzen is less cloned than other Oktoberfest beers, and this one seems to be unheard of and new. Perhaps someone who has tasted it can come up with a recipe with you.

Just for checking sake, you do know this is a lager and you need a lower fermentation temperature to pull off this beer, right? You can make it as an ale, but it won't be the same thing.

Are you looking for all grain or for extract?

These answers will help us figure out the difficulty of creating this recipe with you.

I believe that Paulaner released this beer for the 200th anniversary of Oktoberfest. Hence the special packaging. It's a single 1L can inside of a glass 1L stein (that they use at Oktoberfest). And I think it's actually spelled "Wies'n"

Yes, I know it's a lager. And i'm looking for an all-grain recipe. Thanks

I believe that Paulaner released this beer for the 200th anniversary of Oktoberfest. Hence the special packaging. It's a single 1L can inside of a glass 1L stein (that they use at Oktoberfest). And I think it's actually spelled "Wies'n"

Yes, I know it's a lager. And i'm looking for an all-grain recipe. Thanks

The apostrophe you are thinking about is probably in d'Wiesn or De Wiesn (of the meadow). It is the name of the festival.

More importantly to you, from some reading, it sounds like they actually sub out some Munich for some pilsner or 2row lightening up the beer and making it drier (presumably so you can drink more in one sitting). This is in comparison to their normal maerzen. In fact, some have gone as far as to call it a blonde lager instead. Building off of this, it seems you should go down the Pilsner or Blonde path moreso than the Maerzen one.

Hope that was at least some help, I haven't tasted the beer in years...

I had the same question here. I think my latest attempt is pretty close. 80% pils malt, 20% light munich (both Weyermann malts), low bittering with German hops, and the proper amount of German lager yeast. Give it time to lager. I did a step infusion mash, 30 mins at 140 and 30 at 158. Shoot for gravities in the 1.055 range and try to get it dry (my last one ended up at 1.012), I think the step infusion helps with that, the 140 rest.

The "Big Six" Munich breweries and beers that are at the Wiesn are all slightly different. This fits in the style I think, but I doubt anyone will mistake this for one of those beers. They're really good beers, definitely designed to be enjoyed by the liter.

This beer sort of fits in the 1E category of BJCP Guidelines, it kind of deserves it's own category IMO - not to be judged, only enjoyed. I wish I could find cans of this here. I have plenty of mugs, would like to get a few of the cans.
Good luck!

For what it's worth. It does say it's an ale on the back of the can. I would love to brew this beer. It says its an ale, and also talks about bottom fermenting on the can.

Okay so has anyone actually ever cloned this! It's that time of the year again when this comes out and I wish I knew the recipe.

The Paulaner Oktoberfest Weizn is a fantastic beer. Comes out each year with the big 1 liter mug and can for 10-12$ but man it's good.

Anyone have a recipe yet for this?

I have not cloned but from my memory of these beers they are very much like a helles with more hop character. The beers in the tents are all straw colored instead of the amber look everybody thinks they are. I also believe these beers are closer to 6-7% alcohol as was told to me by a fellow drinker from Munich. (If you heard it after three mass in the party tent is has to be true right? :) But they do seem to be pretty strong.

So target a helles with more hops around 6-7%. That should get you very close or at least a start. Can you buy one to sample where you are?

Okay so has anyone actually ever cloned this! It's that time of the year again when this comes out and I wish I knew the recipe.

The Paulaner Oktoberfest Weizn is a fantastic beer. Comes out each year with the big 1 liter mug and can for 10-12$ but man it's good.

Anyone have a recipe yet for this?

I've actually got a festbier lagering right now that I'm hoping will be close to either Paulaner's or Weihenstephaner's...

I went with 75% Pilsner and 25% Dark Munich 20L (my lhbs was out of light munich) with 1oz of Tradition @ 60min, and 1oz of Hallertauer at flameout. Fermented at 50ºF with wlp833.

All of my tastings were really good, can't wait to see how it turns out when it's ready in early to mid October.

Even 25% dark Munich seems like it would be too dark. It's sooooo light

Edit: sorry 3toes I just realized you meant to buy light Munich..

Even 25% dark Munich seems like it would be too dark. It's sooooo light

Edit: sorry 3toes I just realized you meant to buy light Munich..

Style-wise, I think the festbier tops out at 7 SRM, and with me having to use the dark sent it to 8.8. So yeah, too dark style-wise, but yeah, I was in a pinch :)

I hear the 2011 zymurgy magazine has a clone recipe. Can anyone put it up here?
Craving this!

Back