Paulaner now made by coors?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thezepster

Reaction score
I work at a liquor store and a customer who always buys paulaner hefe told me that it was bought by Coors recently.

I noticed the packaging changed but what I didnt realize is the size of the bottles changed from 12 oz. to 11.2 oz., and they even changed the beer :mad:! I have officially lost a regular customer because of coors.

I tried looking up any facts about this situation but I cant seem to find anything helpful. Let the search begin!

To be clear, you are boycotting a beer you like because it has been purchased by a beer you don't like but you don't really know what has actually happened?

I'm not boycotting anything...

I was posting this thread to see if anyone else had more information, but i can say that im not happy about it

I did some quick searching via The Evil Empire (aka Google) and couldn't find anything about a merger. A sad thing if true.

Paulaner is not owned by MillerCoors. Further, the 11.2 ounce bottle is 330ML and a standard size for a ton of beer in the rest of the world.

well... im looking at both bottles now (old,new) and one of the things thats different on the bottles is:

Old:
Imported by: Star Brand Imports, white plains, New York

New:
Imported By: Paulaner HP USA, Littleton, CO USA

The only reason I believe this guy is because all he buys is Paulaner, and the reason he found out about it is because he could tell a difference in the taste, and started researching it. I didnt have time to ask specifics, but next time I will

Damn. Looks like I'll need to go back to Germany if I want Paulaner again...

Even if Coors bought it, that doesnt mean it's made by coors, but a company they own. Then why would coors buy it and change the recipe?

well... im looking at both bottles now (old,new) and one of the things thats different on the bottles is:

Old:
Imported by: Star Brand Imports, white plains, New York

New:
Imported By: Paulaner HP USA, Littleton, CO USA

The only reason I believe this guy is because all he buys is Paulaner, and the reason he found out about it is because he could tell a difference in the taste, and started researching it. I didnt have time to ask specifics, but next time I will

Um, why would changing the import company change the flavor of the beer? I think your friend may have had a bad bottle or something, and now believes it's because they changed the recipe. I'm not a big Paulaner fan- (don't like wheat beers)- but it's still made by the same company in Munich. I think your friend is confused.

Um, why would changing the import company change the flavor of the beer? I think your friend may have had a bad bottle or something, and now believes it's because they changed the recipe. I'm not a big Paulaner fan- (don't like wheat beers)- but it's still made by the same company in Munich. I think your friend is confused.
Or, the new distributor has better practices, and the beer is being delivered and handled better, thus deceiving the friend who is used to old, mishandled Paulaner.

In either case, it doesn't seem very likely the beer itself has changed.

Even if Coors bought it, that doesnt mean it's made by coors, but a company they own. Then why would coors buy it and change the recipe?

Same reason their beer has no flavor = Money

Or, the new distributor has better practices, and the beer is being delivered and handled better, thus deceiving the friend who is used to old, mishandled Paulaner.

In either case, it doesn't seem very likely the beer itself has changed.

Or the new distributor has worse practices ect...

The new distro is an LLC set up by Paulaner to distribute PA and Hacker Pschorr in the states. They own the company. This was done in 2009, so the distro on the bottles has recently changed, and if he's sitting on old stock, it doesn't surprise me that it took a while to notice.

So basically the guy was use to old stock an now he is getting fresh. Also I am sure the flavor changes from year to year with grain and hops crop.

It would have been a huge story in the news, if Coors bought one of the Octoberfest sponsors. Germany won't even let volkswagen get sold to outside investors no less Paulaner get bought out by Coors.

The new LLC stated about makes sense, and somebody doesn't know the difference between pschorr, and coor.

Heineken bought a 49.9% stake in the holding company that owns Paulaner and Hacker Pschorr years ago.

thanks everyone for all the info. Also, you guys brought up a lot of things that I didn't know about, and never would have thought about. I appreciate that. I like to know as much as I can about the products im selling

How would changing the recipe of an old an popular beer make them any money at all? Especially a beer that's traditionally sold in it's home market which would HATE any changes to it?

ABInbev owns Spaten, Franziskaner, and Lowenbrau who collectively sponsored 35% of the main tents at Munich's Oktoberfest last year (the Das Hippodrom, Schottenhamel, Schützen-Festhalle, Löwenbräu-Festhalle, and Ochsenbraterei tents).

none of them majority ownership... the reason behind my previous posts was the german's/EU fight over germany trying to block the porsche/volkswagen deal

none of them majority ownership... the reason behind my previous posts was the german's/EU fight over germany trying to block the porsche/volkswagen deal

All of the ones I mentioned (Lowenbrau, Spaten, Franziskaner) are majority owned by ABInbev since 2004.

ABInbev is a Belgian company, though, so the EU wouldn't fight them; MillerCoors might be a different matter.

Hey, look on the bright side: maybe you'll get a nice looking bottle of Paulaner with mountains that disappear when it's "cold enough to drink!" :)

Just to clarify, Paulaner's ownership is: Schörghuber Ventures (50.1%) and Heineken N.V. (49.9%)

Heineken has no relationship with MolsonCoors.

Oh great, now when I want 2000 pounds of beer, I'll get 11.2 oz? :drunk:
No, it is a metric ton, so when you want 2,204.6 lbs of beer, you'll get 11.2 fluid ounces. I've heard that German beer is 'heavy', but that stuff really takes the cake. Must be made with dark matter or nuetronium...

No, it is a metric ton, so when you want 2,204.6 lbs of beer, you'll get 11.2 fluid ounces. I've heard that German beer is 'heavy', but that stuff really takes the cake. Must be made with dark matter or nuetronium...

This makes both the beer drinker and the nerd in me laugh!
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back