Patersbier turned brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger_tucker

Reaction score
I had a nice patersbier kegged. I had gone through a little more than half the keg, maybe a month in the keg. I moved the keggerator from one side of the basement to the other and subsequently pulled a beer, and my nice golden patersbier had turned a stinky pale brown. Initially I thought I might have stirred up a bunch of sediment in the move but it never recovered. FWIW now I'm not entirely sure whether it had turned brown before I moved it. Anyone seen anything like this before? Know what might have caused it? I can provide a picture.

I was just at the LHBS and one of the guys there said if you stir up the sediment in a keg after it's been carbonated it won't settle. Somehow the gas keeps the sediment suspended. I don't know.

I was just at the LHBS and one of the guys there said if you stir up the sediment in a keg after it's been carbonated it won't settle. Somehow the gas keeps the sediment suspended. I don't know.

I don't think that is true. No different than a carbonated bottle getting moved around. I have moved bottles and kegs around and the sediment settles back down.

I am not so sure about that. I have not stirred one up noticeably so?? But I have had some that were cloudy for the first 1/4 of the keg then go crystal clear.

OP, Do you have more than one keg in the kegerator? Did you disconnect the kegs to move them? Could you possibly have put kegs on the wrong taps, and the Patersbier is on another one?

Two kegs in in fridge. One was empty and I didn't disconnect either one. Here's a picture. Sorry it's rotated. I'm posting from my phone. This thing was pale golden. The grain bill was 100% pils if that gives you any idea. I think I'm making beer brats tonight

View attachment 1469919686678.jpg

Back