Pasteurizing cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phlyborn

Reaction score
I'm pressing apples tomorrow and I was going to use my HLT to pasteurize the cider. My HLT has a heating element in it so my question is would there be any ill affects from using the vessel? Last year I just did it on a stove top but this year I'll have more to heat up.

Why not just add a little bit of sulfites instead of going thru all the work of lugging it around and waiting for it to be finished and lugging it back? WVMJ

That's a fair point. However, I'm planning on canning half of what I make for the kids. I guess I left that part out. My HLT is 120V so can move it anywhere I would need it.

Sorry, more of a winemaker, can you put your bottled cider in that and fill it with water and then pasteurize like that? WVMJ

I ended up with 9gal. 4gal I put in the HLT with a heating element and set the stc-1000 to 160* then put the remaining 5gal in a carboy with five campden tablets. I'll be using US05 yeast in a fermentation fridge at 65*+/-.
Once the 4gal sat a 160* for fifteen minutes I poured it into quart mason jars.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440969073.610263.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440969095.493041.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440969115.839903.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440969129.207059.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440969140.807515.jpg

That's a fair point. However, I'm planning on canning half of what I make for the kids. I guess I left that part out. My HLT is 120V so can move it anywhere I would need it.

It's too late now, but if you're canning the juice there is no need to pasteurize it first. It will reach pasteurization temps easily during the canning process.

Thanks but I skip the canning process. Just filling the jars with 160* temp and laying them on their sides the jars will seal. Either way works.[emoji4]

Back