Pasteurized procedure and when to add sugars and such

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Influence

Reaction score
I've been getting back into the cider bit again after a year hiatus. Figured I'd read through the forum and get some ideas and I'm perplexed by a few things.

Pasteurization
When using non pasteurized cider, I see comments from those that seem to cook cider and those that don't. If you don't, I always thought that that was just fine.

When adding sugars....
I've often done my primary, plain Jane cider/yeast and then added flavoring after the fact (cut it down with a little new/fresh cider). Or add sugars a few days after the activity starts.

Is it really better to throw the sugar and other flavorings right in the beginning? I liked having them start off by going to town on the cider first!

Not really major, but was curious what others thought.....

Having fun though!

Jonathan

well I for one, don't like to "cook" my cider....because you tend to loose some flavor that way in my opinion, plus a high enough heat will create a pectin haze in your final product that is tough if not impossible to get rid of. As for sugars and flavors...I guess that depends on what you are going for. Sugars will simply ferment out if you add them to the primary, and flavors are fairly subtle when added to the primary...once the ferment is done, if you want more pronounced flavor, most people rack into a secondary and add flavor at that point. as for sugar, again if you are looking to sweeten your end product, you need to add that when the ferment is done.

Dan

Back