Pasteurized Apple Cider Quandary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguy898

Reaction score
I'm not able to find any concrete evidence on this, but I've read in a few of my many searches that a Cyser made from 'Pasteurized' apple cider will not ever become clear and beautiful. I also read somewhere (I think) that if Pectic Enzyme is added to primary fermentation that even pasteurized apple cider Cyser will clear.

Does anyone have the low-down on this? Will a Pasteurized apple cider Cyser clear at all? I ask because I am making 3 gallons of a spiced holiday Cyser, and the only apple cider available to me is Pasteurized.

Thanks in advance!,
Jonas

Yes, commercially pasteurized juice will clear (eventually) after fermentation. If it's clear juice before fermentation, you likely won't need the pectic enzyme either, but it won't hurt anything if you add it anyway. Regards, GF.

Yes, commercially pasteurized juice will clear (eventually) after fermentation. If it's clear juice before fermentation, you likely won't need the pectic enzyme either, but it won't hurt anything if you add it anyway. Regards, GF.

Thanks, GF! I was starting to wonder if anyone knew:confused:

It's actual cider, not juice, so it is very cloudy. I actually thought about the whole thing for a while and now I'm thinking I'll just make my own out of only Honeycrisp Apples. I have a Top of the line single auger juicer that I use for everything and I think I'm going to press out a gallon of Honeycrisp cider and throw that in, instead. It's kind of late in the season and the apple cider around here isn't that good anymore, with the local farm markets closed for the winter.

Thanks Again!
Jonas

I started a cyser last year, (back in August, if I remember right), using pasteurized apple cider. It was quite cloudy, so I did add some pectic enzyme to it when I put everything in my fermenter. It's been in my basement bulk aging, and has been racked twice since the primary. Last time I checked, it was clarifying nicely. Aside from filling the air-lock occasionally, I don't plan to touch it until Fall, which should give it plenty of time to finish. If I get a chance when I get home, I'll try to take a pic for you.

Ya, I've used that brown, cloudy apple "cider" (juice) to make cysers (mine was pure Mac juice) & I did use the pectic enzyme, they turned out crystal clear & a lovely dark gold/amber color. Regards, GF.

Back