Pasta maker or rolling pin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarBac

Reaction score
Just got LHBS in my town and they don't have their mill yet. So I'm doing my first all grain Saturday and have to crush my grains. I have an old school hand cranked pasta maker that I can set to different thicknesses between 2 rollers. Sound like a good idea or should I use a rolling pin?

The pasta rollers are too small and too smooth. They won't grab the kernels. There is a thread on here somewhere about people thrashing the heck out of the rollers with files to roughen them up.

Dude if you are planning on milling enough grain to do an AG batch with a rolling pin, you better start working on those grains now...you might have enough time to get them all done by then if you work straight through.

Maybe wrap some rough sandpaper around the rollers? That may get the rollers to pull the grain through easier. Either way, be prepared for a sub-par efficiency. Also, make sure you don't over crush the grain, you don't want a stuck sparge the first time doing all-grain. Good luck!

10+ pounds of grain with a rolling pin will not be fun.
When are they getting their mill?
Can you buy or borrow someone's corona grain mill?

double or triple bag the grains place in driveway, back up, stop, drive forward, stop, repeat

Ok. F it. I tried the pasta maker mill thingy tonight and it's not going to do the trick. I'm going by a very small microbrewery (3 guys) Saturday am and have them grind it. In return I'll purchase a few alt beers and IPAs. The LHBS gets the mill in a few weeks so I'll wait for it. Just trying to support local business :) thanks for the advice.

Back