Party Pig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Any own, try or use one of these systems?

I am not quite ready for kegging yet due to the expense. this seams interesting though, do they work, do they suck. What would you all suggest?

I have one. They work.

The inflatable packs they come with are a bit high in price but you get two in your initial purchase I believe.

You can't beat the mobility aspect. And I like the fact that they hold only 2.5 gallons. This way I can take my beer on the road fairly easily and not worry about my buddies kicking my entire 5 gallons! :)

My one knock is that they dispense somewhat at a slow rate. But what's the hurry?! ;)

They work well. One of the local breweries rents them out if someone wants less than a pony keg.

wizardofza said:
I have one. They work.

The inflatable packs they come with are a bit high in price but you get two in your initial purchase I believe.

You can't beat the mobility aspect. And I like the fact that they hold only 2.5 gallons. This way I can take my beer on the road fairly easily and not worry about my buddies kicking my entire 5 gallons! :)

My one knock is that they dispense somewhat at a slow rate. But what's the hurry?! ;)

I like that you can put half batch in them and then half in bottles. How long does the beer last in them?

do you have to drink it quickly?

I have never owned one but Big Buck Brewery here in MI rents them out for partys, and Just FYI this was a cool reply about the party pig on here a while ago.

whodwho said:
Get your pig some tail...;)

16.00 tire inflater and a +1.00 Co2 Cart that I am still using the same one after several dispenses (by no means condoned by Quoin!)

Drill and tap with 1/8 pipe tap and use a 1/8 tank valve, not the easiest to find in a retail store but no issue at McMaster
DCP_8222%20(Small).JPG

Use a bike Co2 inflater, but watch the pressure - these pack the same pressure as the big boys but there is no regulator!
DCP_8230%20(Small).JPG

For using my regular Co2 bottle for carbing
DCP_8246%20(Small).JPG

BrooZer said:
I like that you can put half batch in them and then half in bottles. How long does the beer last in them?

do you have to drink it quickly?

That's a good question. I don't really know. I would assume so.

My buddy and I split a batch of stout, I bottled mine, he put his in the pig (another good reason to get one). We drank it about a month after we 'pigged' it. We kicked it the same night we tapped it.

I have a bourbon barrel porter that's been sitting in a pig I've had for about 6 months. I haven't tapped it yet. I hope it's good! It still seems pressurized. It's hard as a rock!

I wouldn't worryt about it. As long as you seal it good and tight.

Being plastic they are a little more porous to O2 than glass but still a pretty good container. Plus they are brown so indirect light is not a real worry. You should be able to store in a Party Pig for 6months or more without a problem.
I had a Belgian wit that I pigged in May, tapped in July and finished in September. I think the last pint was the best. From tapping to finishing it was transported and warmed up to room temp several times.
Over all I like my pigs (I have 2) but they do pour slowly after the first couple pints of the evening.
Craig

Funny! I searched this old thread and posted a new one this morning. I wanted to know if anyone had used one for any length of time.
You must have read my mind cbbaron!

cheezydemon said:
Funny! I searched this old thread and posted a new one this morning. I wanted to know if anyone had used one for any length of time.
You must have read my mind cbbaron!
I've only had mine for about 10 months. I'm serving the 3rd beer out of the pig now. So far there have been no issues other than the slow pour. I actually think it works better for an every day beer facet than for a party because after 2 or 3 beers the pour really starts slowing down.
It is much easier to bottle 1 pig than 24 bottles but if you are doing half and half there is not much of a time savings. The pig is also more compact than 24 bottles and is quite portable. With the Styrofoam cooler sold by the makers of the pig, you can cool and transport your beer to remote locations for camping or other outdoor activities.
Craig

Back