Parts shopping sucks! Is this the right part?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muhteeus,

Thanks these will be a lot easier to use. Only problem coming from China on the long slow boat. Middle of March delivery. I'm trying to pinch pennies for this build but it might be better to just order the adjustable from Kal. Maybe I can find a US seller. At least you got me pointed in the right direction.

Muhteeus,

Thanks these will be a lot easier to use. Only problem coming from China on the long slow boat. Middle of March delivery. I'm trying to pinch pennies for this build but it might be better to just order the adjustable from Kal. Maybe I can find a US seller. At least you got me pointed in the right direction.

Sorry. Didn't realize that was ePacket. I got my last one in about 2 weeks so YMMV.

Anyway good luck! Start a build thread. We love those here!

For AC to 5V DC at fairly low currents (under 2A should be enough to power two meters), you could just use a USB phone charger power brick or the corded equivalent. Just install an outlet in your panel to plug it in to.

Dqik, I was thinking about that but I really like clean look of a wired power supply vise the plug inside of the enclosure. The question to me is it worth $16 bucks?

but think they are just DC to DC not AC/DC.
That's what DC to DC converter means.

Will these work?

If you put, for example, a heating system 24 V control transformer feeding a simple diode bridge in front of it yes. Just get the stuff at Radio Shack - oops, guess not.

Note: Used to be you could buy the LM317 there too.

Well,

It is likely that it is one of two things. Either your brewing equipment or home has a stubborn bacteria or wild yeast that is in your air this time of year, or perhapse your furnace filter (unlikely), or it is something to do with your water. Try giving all of your equipment a thourough cleaning and sanitizing (I'm sure you do anyway after brewing for so long) and use bottled water for 1 batch to see if it clears it up. Also, do you culture your own yeast? If so, you may want to start a new culture.

It will bug me only when the panel is open and before my third homebrew. Then I'll only worry about my forth.

I just realized you were actually just looking for something thats normally advertised and considered as a 5v powersupply right? technically it is a step down converter but you are really limiting your choices looking for one with that description... and REALLY limiting yourself if your looking for one actually made of us components in the US.... might have better luck finding a unicorn actually... everything I've ordered from mouser and digikey was made overseas...(im sure they have plenty of us components too if available to them)

Im sure its been mentioned but an ATX computer powersupply from bestbuy or an old pc works well too and can be used to power relay coils and fans later if needed...
you can also sort by distance on amazon or ebay if you want it quick.
I have used a few 12 and 24v versions of these with no issues in over a year.(made in china though )
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-3A-DC-Un...380?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad3220b7c

augiedoggy got me thinking (it happens once in a while) that for a tight budget, you could use an old PC case as a control box. And it comes with all the low voltage supplies you may need. Someone must have already done this somewhere on the forum.

Found one:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/double-trouble-electric-herms-brewery-332785/

I actually considered this very hard before changing my mind....

pc power supplies have 3.3v,5v and 12v (as well as negative versions of some of these) and can usually be made to run by just putting a switch between the green sensing wire and a ground wire to turn it on or off however some need a load on them to work this way.

Back