Particulate in extract starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlar

Reaction score
I've been searching for answers to this issue and I haven't had much luck so far.

Last night, I made a 1L starter with 105g of Extra Light DME. I noticed in the boil that I could see particulate all throughout the wort. It was very light in color, like the DME I was using, small like the tip of a ballpoint pen, all throughout the wort, and numerous!

At the time, I thought little of it, thinking it was some DME that had not yet dissolved, so I continued like normal. After cooling the starter before pitching, all that particulate settled to the bottom and the wort was clearer and lighter than normal. The particulate had mostly settled on the bottom in a 1/8-1/4" thick layer. I pitched anyways and the yeast is active so I'm not horribly worried about the yeast.

Any ideas on what could be causing this, and if I should be concerned? This is the same container as my last starter (cleaned), same water source, same DME, and same stove.

+1 You'll see the same thing on a much larger scale in your brews..hot break proteins and cold break proteins.

Thanks very much for the help!

I guess I noticed it this time because I was brewing in a clear container, rather than my normal brew pot. I know that the hot break and cold break happens in a full size brew, but it never occurred to me that it would happen in my starter.

Back