Particles on top of beer after primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stromboni

Reaction score
I made a NEIPA and it is now the 10th day of fermenting. It is at a stable gravity now so it should be done. I just noticed that there are some particles on/near the top of the beer and idk what they are. Is this normal to have because I thought it should all sink? Note I am not going to rack to secondary because I don’t want to risk oxidation issues.
633C6757-6AEB-4B5E-8D39-4FB4C8A0F86F.jpeg
62A51333-6DA7-466B-B975-B6E5E7038D9D.jpeg

Those are yeast rafts. Perfectly normal. Some yeasts will give you larger clumps. Those are pretty small.
Definitely skip secondary unless adding fruit or something else.

Those are yeast rafts. Perfectly normal. Some yeasts will give you larger clumps. Those are pretty small.
Definitely skip secondary unless adding fruit or something else.
yep, I’m just gonna dry hop in a few days and let it sit for another 3 days or so. I read I can do a “cold crash” before bottling that wish push al the crap to the bottom? Or will i not get those particles anyway when it’s time to bottle?

There are a few ways you can go about it at this point. You can cold crash which will get most of the yeast to drop out. It takes low-temp and time. You can also use something like gelatin or biofine to help drop particles out and clear your beer a little faster. Gelatin seens to be the more popular choice probably likely to its low cost and availability.

Some careful racking cane work should let you easily avoid what's floating on top. Keep your racking cane under the surface (obviously). Tilt you fermenter gently when the level is getting low, suck off as much of the beer as you can and stop when it starts pulling in the surface crud. Any tiny bit that get's into your bottling bucket won't be a problem.

Back