Partial Sun Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

eweb44

Reaction score
I'm planning to grow Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, and Hallertuaer hops. They will be grown horizontally along the top of a 6' fence which runs north and south. Of those varieties which would most tolerate partial rather than full sun? Also which is better morning or afternoon sun.

Alternatively, does anyone no a good way to discretely poison 4 large maple trees growing on the boundary between my neighbor's house and mine? I am only sort of kidding, this is about home grown hops and making the freshest APA possible.

mandoman

Reaction score
man, I don't know. I planted cent, cascade, and will. along a fence last spring and didn't realize how much shade the trees were gonna throw on 'em. They got partial sun part of the day and only got maybe 3 feet long all summer while my buddy's, in similar soil/planting/trellis environment grew about 15 feet and actually produced a handful of cones. I will have to move mine after last thaw. Be wary of partial sun - these guys are sun hogs. Of course, there may be some varieties like you suggest that do better in partial sun but I can't imagine any hops like anything other than full blown solar exposure.

david_42

Reaction score
Other than Sunbeam (like Saaz), all hops need as much sun as they can get.

Latest posts